What is end-to-end protection?
News

What is end-to-end protection?

end to end encryption

27
end to end encryption

Just like the end-to-end encryption (E2EE) this is a secure process that prevents any unnecessary third party interference when transferring your data or communicating from one device to another. The information is coded or encrypted on the sender’s device and is only decoded or decrypted at the intended recipient’s device. On its destination while the data is traveling, it cannot be read or modified in its journey by any internet service provider (ISP), application service provider, hacker or any other service through illegal means. Data encryption can be done through algorithms which convert standard text formats into unreadable characters.

The encryption keys have the authority to scramble data so that any unlicensed users cannot acquire your personal information. End-to-end protection takes a step ahead by securing your data from the start to the end point of transmission. Many popular messaging apps like Zoom, WhatsApp and Facebook allow end-to-end protection which has been a rather debatable topic for the providers of these apps cannot share user information with authorities and this facilitates private messaging for people involved in unlawful activities.

How does end-to-end protection work?

This is done through cryptographic keys which encrypt and decrypt messages at the end points of servers. Cryptography is the process through which information is protected by converting it into an unreadable format called ciphertext and the users possessing the key can decipher this text into plaintext. This is done through an asymmetric and public key which encrypts and decrypts data based on two separate cryptographic keys that can be shared with others. THis message can be understood by a private decryption key. Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption protocol keeps third parties from intercepting messages in transit. People then use the key to decode messages and send it back to the owner of the public key.

In online communications there is almost always an intermediary which handles messages between the two parties involved in the exchange. This intermediary belongs to servers of the ISP, telecommunications or other organizations. The public key system of the end-to-end protection ensures that no intermediary can obtain your personal information that is in transit. To guarantee that the public key is a legitimate key created by the recipient to incorporate the public key in a certificate that has been digitally signed by a recognized certificate authority (CA). The CA’s public key is widely distributed and known and a certificate signed by the public key can undoubtedly be assumed as authentic. The certificate contains the recipient’s name and public key which is why the CA won’t sign a certificate with a different public key under the same name.

How is end-to-end protection used?

This is used when data security is essential especially in healthcare, communications and finance sectors. Companies can follow the guidelines for data security and privacy. Secure communication is utilized by messaging apps like Signal and mobile radio standards like TETRA by end-to-end encryption to keep the conversations between its users private. Email systems can be figured for E2EE , too, but it requires Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) encryption configuration. Password managers like 1Password, BitWarden, Dashlane and LastPass use E2EE to protect a user's passwords. However, here the user is at both ends and is the only person possessing the key. In terms of data storage service providers can also offer E2EE in transit in a cloud storage setting, safeguarding users' data from anyone, including the cloud service provider. Similarly, electronic point-of-sale (POS) system providers would instill E2EE for protecting sensitive information such as the customer credit card data.

Advantages of end-to-end protection

• Privacy

EE2E is used in issues related to privacy concerns such as legal proceedings, medical reports, private conversations, financial procedures and other corporate documents. A failure to protect the privacy matters can damage the repute of enterprise businesses and companies. EE2E can help secure data against cyber attacks. In 2020, for example, the average cost of a data breach was USD 3.86 million globally and USD 8.64 million in the United States. These costs include expenses for downtime and lost revenue or the decrease in credibility of businesses and clients. It can even lead to the customer losing trust in your brand or call out for regulatory and legal actions. You can even authorize user access to stored data. The privileged user policy management system has control over who can acquire what information.

Data in transit is protected

Through cryptography in end-to-end protection the public key and private key store data at both ends of the transmission cycle. The message can be interpreted through the decrypting keys only so the people at both ends of communication can read what is being conveyed.

Information is tamper-proof

In E2EE the decryption key does not need to be transferred, it will already be present with the recipient for smooth and safe communication. If the message that is encrypted with a public key is altered or tampered with in transit then on its arrival at the intended destination, the recipient will not be able to encrypt it. This is important so that the data which has been modified will no longer be viewable, alerting the recipient that something is amiss.

Disadvantages of end-to-end protection

• Endpoint security

Compromising the endpoints will lead to revealing of the encrypted data; this is because E2EE only decodes the information at both ends of communication. So the endpoints themselves can be vulnerable to attacks. Hence endpoint security is enforced to protect data beyond transit.

Difficult to define endpoints

Some E2EE strategies allow data to be encrypted, decrypted and then re-encrypted at certain points during the transmission of the message. This is why it is very important to make it clear which endpoints are located where in the cycle.

Metadata is accessible

Even though the messages in transit are hidden and encrypted, the information regarding when and where the data was sent and other particulars about the sender and receiver of data will be visible. This may provide useful information for any third party interference.