Nannying: Expectations usually Vs. Reality

I love these kids but....

5244

As I began my first summer of nannying, I came into the job with certain thoughts of how it would pan out. As I'm progressing, however, I'm finding a lot of these to be very incorrect, specifically for the children I watch. Here are just a few of my expectation vs. reality in regards to being a nanny.

Expectation: Getting up at 6:45 a.m every day means a strict bedtime of 10 p.m. so I can be at my best. Totally doable.

Reality: If I get to bed by 12 a.m., which college has made me idealize as an "early" bedtime, I can sleep for a little over 6 hours and not be totally cranky when I drag myself to work by 8 a.m.

Expectation: Getting there by 8 a.m. for a 9 a.m. swim lesson? That's plenty of time to get the kids ready.

Reality: I'm scrambling to put sunscreen on them and feed them breakfast by 8:45 a.m. so we make it semi-early to practice, find a seat, get all our gear on, and make it by 9 a.m.

Expectation: I'll do a craft with them on Monday, art on Tuesday, baking on Wednesday, a service project on Thursday, and a fun field trip on Friday. Perfect!

Reality: They want to stay late at the pool on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, which means no projects for me to plan out on Sunday and fewer supplies to buy. #winning

Expectation: Swim and tennis until 11:15, showering, lunch, learning, and a craft. That'll be enough for one day. No need to knit-pick on exact times.

Reality: Swim and tennis: 9-11:15; showering: 11:15-11:45; lunch: 11:45-12:30; reading: 12:30-1:15; project: 1:15-2; math: 2-2:45; and now to frantically look for something to occupy them for another 45 minutes.

Expectation: Leaving at 3:30 p.m. means I'll have plenty of time after work to do things like socialize and relax.

Reality: Sleeps for 2 hours as soon as I get home.

Expectation: Friday field trips are going to be the best part! It'll be so nice to break away from the routine a little bit.

Reality: Chuck E. Cheese on a Friday in the summer at 1 p.m. is the worst place I've been in my entire life. Please take me back to the house to paint and do math for hours. Please!

Expectation: I'll befriend all the nannies, and we can go on huge group play dates together. It'll be so much fun!

Reality: In three weeks, I've talked to one nanny and had one play date for 45 minutes. That'll do for the summer.

Expectation: I'm going to love these kids so much.

Reality: I love these kids so much.