What I learned solo traveling for the first time

What I Learned During My First Solo Trip

Getting over the awkwardness of always being alone

6
The Spinsters Union

This last week I went on my first solo vacation. I traveled to Anaheim California for a convention, that no one wanted to come with me to. I've gotten to the point in my young adulthood where I'm just going to live my best life, regardless if that means I have to go or do something by myself. I had an amazing time and I would totally do it again.

The main thing I was worried about was going out and eating. 99% of the other people in the restaurants are with other people and it can be awkward just sitting by yourself, but I got over it quickly. I would go on Twitter and Instagram or text friends and family, and I was basically in my own little world. I didn't pay attention to anyone and as far as I know no one paid attention to me either. Going out for activities wasn't as weird as you'd might think, I'd either keep to myself or talk with some of the other people.

While on my trip I decided to stay in a hostel, which I had never done before. From what I've read online, hostels are pretty hit-or-miss and depend on who else is staying. For the most part, everyone else who were staying were nice. I never felt unsafe and as long as you followed the rules there wouldn't be any problems.

I generally didn't walk around at night, but when I did I was in a crowded enough and didn't feel unsafe. I also didn't interact with anyone on the streets nor did they really interact with me.

There were times that I did get lonely and wished I could be with my friends, but for the most part I kept in touch with them. I also kept in touch with my parents so they knew I was still alive and knew what I was up to.

Overall, I had a great time and would do it all over again. While I don't think I'll be going on a trip, let a long a solo trip, for a while; it is something I plan to do again. I think as long as you know what you're doing and keep in touch with friends and/or family in the off chance something does happen, then you should be fine. Whether it's to another city, state, or country, I think it's something everyone should try at least once in their live.