What Have We Done To Communication

What Have We Done To Communication

If you're over the call of the iPhone, I get you.

4
What Have We Done To Communication
BuzzFeed

Let you be warned, this is a bit of a rant.

I don't know about everyone else but I seriously can't think of a time recently that I've been in a room with a group of people who aren't glued to their cellphones. I'm not going to say that I'm some sort of magical being who remains unaffected by the glowing lure of that red circle with a number in the middle letting me know someone has something for me, but I am going to say that I'm just about over what we're letting it do to us.

I've always noticed the way technology has a hold on us, I'm sure many people have, but being a junior in college I've come to realize how it's really affecting us millennials. Last weekend as my friends and I were getting ready to go to a party, sitting in a room filled with flashing colors, blasting rap, and hyped up college kids I looked around to see every single one of the approximately fifteen people staring blankly at their phones. Maybe I was antsy to get going, maybe I had a long week, I'm not sure, but either way it got me really irritated. We were all there to hang out with each other and have a good time yet every single person was more focused on what was going on outside of the room than what was going on right in front of them. The power of the iPhone has been going on for awhile now so I've become used to it but what it has done to us drives me insane.

Why are we incapable of having deep conversations? Talking about the weekend, or how absurd Trump is, or why the stair masters at the gym are always taken is fine but eventually it gets old. No one wants to talk about anything further than surface level and when I do come across the rare person who does its shocking. How long can we really go on about Harambe? And not only can we not get past the surface but people get genuinely angry when you want to talk about issues. Since when did it become offensive to genuinely care about the lives of others and what's going on with them? Brushing everything under the rug has become the new confrontation and all that really does is let deep rooted issues brew to only arise later in a different, more aggressive form.

I wish for one day we could flashback to before smartphones existed so we could hold actual conversations about topics that matter, pay attention to the people in front of us, and stop trying to make every event of our lives look so desirable to everyone following us on social media. I'm way too exhausted from trying to hold conversations with people who are half paying attention because they're trying to find the perfect lighting for their Snapchat. I'm over dealing with trying to hold conversations with people who are being passive aggressive because they have unresolved issues they think it's unacceptable to address. Communication is an art and all we've done is taken it from deeply thought out murals to haphazardly thrown together finger paintings.

So heads up millennials, literally, look up from your phone for two seconds, please, I'm begging you.