What I Have Learned From The Sandlot

What I Have Learned From The Sandlot

The few things Sandlot taught me growing up

273
What I Have Learned From The Sandlot

The Sandlot has always been my favorite movie. From its memorable quotes like "you're killing me smalls!" to its baseball action, to the underdog story. There are so many great lines and great moments that can keep a little kid and a grown parent entertained. I have learned a few things from that movie, some serious, some not so much.

1. The first thing I learned is to never give up. When the ball went into the beast's yard the kids could have just given up after a few tries of getting it, but they had determination and were not going to quit. Even though I have seen the movie hundreds of times I still get excited seeing Benny outrun the beast.

2. Asking never hurts. The kids find out at the end of the movie if they would have just asked Mr. Mertle to get the ball back they could have avoided the whole mess. This is useful in life because there are a lot of situations where if you just ask the person they will help you instead of going behind their back.

3. Sometimes you just have to make a move. The scene I learned this from is one of the best movie scenes of all time in my opinion. When Squints pretends to drown just so he could kiss the lifeguard, Wendy Peffercorn. I absolutely love this scene. It shows sometimes if you want something you just have to do something to get it. It is kind of an extreme example but it gets the job done.

4. The last but most important thing is parents are normally right. This one took a while for me to learn but it is definitely true. If Smalls would have just listened to his step dad and never touched the ball they would not have been in that situation.

The Sandlot will be a movie I show my kids just because it will probably still be my favorite movie. There are plenty of things to laugh at and learn from it.