What Happened 10 Years After I Was Bullied

Who do we become after what's said and done?

8
Hubstatic

From my earliest memory, I always remembered myself being outgoing. I love to talk and can strike up a conversation with anyone. I can talk on the phone hours and always make an effort to introduce myself to strangers. In middle school, I changed and wasn't the outgoing person I always was. About ten years ago, I was constantly reminded how I was "worthless" and "looked like a fish." So many people have had these experiences and courageously came out with their stories to the world. However, no one ever talks about what happens a decade after.

According to the movies, lot of people experience the same type of people in school. We all have seen the different "stereotypes" portrayed in every teen movie, including bullies. For some reason, everyone seems to always relate more to the bully. Most likely because some Millennials knew someone being bullied or was bullied themselves.

I went to a catholic school from kindergarden to 8th grade. My graduating class was very small compared to the public schools in my town. Everyone knew everyone and it grew to be extremely clique-y as middle school approached. Like a lot of middle schoolers going through puberty, I was awkward. I had glasses, braces and an unattractive/painful back brace. I was laughed at constantly and given dirty looks every day. It got to the point I would pretend to be sick so I didn't have to go to school. Since multiple people would approach me with these comments, my self-esteem was at an all-time-low. I had no motivation to do well in school and didn't care much for a huge social life. It took me the longest time to get over the things said to me. I was tired of people telling me that "it gets better", because it felt like it never would.

Although it felt like an eternity, I've been out of that situation long enough to tell you that it really does get better. Once I transferred to a new high school, everything completely changed. I found things I loved and met amazing people. As much as I wish I didn't have the experience what I did in school, I am so happy I became the person I am after it. I've learned to give myself confidence when I'm feeling down and to motivate myself to prove people wrong.

In this past decade I have loved harder, jumped oceans for people and expect nothing in return, given shoulders for people to cry on and helped anyone who needed me at a drop of a hat. I learned how to be a better person through all my past experiences.

To the people who read this and know they caused all this to happen: know that I forgive you. I have let all my anger go and wish nothing but the best to each and every one of you, no matter what you've said to me. I hope you found peace in yourself and you stay kind with any other person you've met since we graduated. I hope you take the memories that shattered my self esteem with you and learn a lesson from it. Lastly, I hope you never do this to anyone again.