9 Things My Freshman Year Of College Taught Me

Oh, the things I didn't know.

123
Alyssa Te

Freshman year was a blur. It went so fast, yet super slow. So crazy, but also really chill. And so amazing, but also really imperfect. This particular school year has taught me so many lessons. Here are a few.

1. Freshman 15 is SOOOO real.

Unfortunately, living on campus freshman year has done me SO dirty. The dining halls were just a few steps away from my dorm and I just couldn't resist. Plus, I had to make sure that I was using all my meal swipes. It was hard for me to eat super healthy this year. That's all I gotta say about that.

2. People are so nice from the beginning.

The excitement the first few weeks of school was indescribable. Everyone was so happy getting to meet each other. Exploring the campus the first few days was so intriguing, and meeting your neighbors in your dorms was so fun. That changes after a few months, but that first distinct interaction with all these new people is something that I'll never forget.

3. You can meet your family here.

I made some of the best friends on campus. I realized that time is nothing, and no matter how long you can be friends with someone, you can meet someone and within just months have the greatest bond with them.

I also didn't just meet new people who became my family, but I have stayed close to some of my high school friends, and we became closer than we ever did in high school. They don't have to be new people, sometimes a different setting can just signify your friendship with people you've known for years.

4. You'll experience things you didn't think you would.

I've seen things I didn't think I would ever see. I have experienced things I did not think that I would. College is all about experimentation and experiencing things you've never done, and I am a true example of that. I have tried new things, and I do not regret any of the decisions. It has shaped me to who I am today.

5. People can really suck.

I think this is pretty clear in general, but you really see some distinct terrible personalities throughout the year. It's like freshman year of high school when people are fake to try to fit in. It's basically the same thing, just on another level. I've seen people who have done ANYTHING to show off.

I've also seen people who just made terrible decisions. I get it. We're all still young and in that high school state of mind at times, but still, sucky.

6. You learn more about yourself, now more than ever.

With all the new experiences, I have learned more about myself than I ever did in high school. Being independent and away from home has definitely shaken up my lifestyle, but has made me more...well me. Being able to do my own thing, and not having anyone really judge me, was really different. Being by myself in my dorm has shown me how responsible I was and wasn't, and what it was like to just be me.

7. High school was great, but I wouldn't go back.

Not like I would've had the choice to go back, but college to me is way better than high school. The independence in college is something that I will never take for granted. I can't even imagine going back to high school and sitting in classrooms for eight hours a day. The breaks in between in college is something that I do not take for granted either.

8. I really don't know what I want to do.

I came in undecided. I have spent a year trying to find my passion, and honestly, I haven't found it yet. If anything, being in college for a year has made me realize that I really do not know what I want to pursue in my future.

I know that I'm cutting it close, but I try not to let that get to me too much. It gets difficult when I am feeling pressured to decide right away, but I can't just make up my mind in a day for something that I want to do for the rest of my life. I am trying my best, and I learned that that is okay.

9. I am my best self.

Finding myself was the best thing that I have learned in college. I am constantly on the journey of finding myself, but I feel closer than ever to getting to that point in my life. People are going to hurt me, people are going to tell me that I am not good enough, but I am happy. I am doing everything in my life for me, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Despite all the hardships and craziness that college has put me through, I would not have wanted to experience it in any other way. Because when there is bad, there is good. I wouldn't have felt my highest highs until I had felt my lowest lows. I have been on a rollercoaster all freshman year, and I'm still riding it to be honest. Freshman year was a whole new playing ground, and I can't wait to see what the rest of my college years have in store for me.