What Does It Mean To Be A Woman?

What Does It Mean To Be A Woman?

My definition is one who empowers, what's yours?
47

In today's society, we are constantly bombarded with the word feminism. In regards to this word, I do firmly believe there should be equality between the genders in the political, educational, and social sphere; however, I do not believe the genders themselves are equal. In fact, I believe it is physically impossible to be equal to someone; we are all unique and wonderfully made in our own special ways. So instead of arguing the similarities, we need to appreciate the differences between the male and female populations.

With that being said, What does it really mean to be a woman?

My definition of a woman and the woman I am working to become is a woman who leads with love. With every inch of my being, I strive to be the type of leader who is loving, nurturing, and understanding, but at the same time strong-willed, independent, and hard working. As a woman, I want to lead as an example for other women to follow in; I want to change the world and make it a better place. My definition of a woman is someone who is caring, compassionate, loving, nurturing, understanding, trustworthy, hard working, and strong.

But like I said, it's my definition. You don't have to agree with me. Every woman is different and we as a population need to embrace those differences.

If you were to ask my sister the same question, you would find her answer is entirely different than mine.

My sister, Kelly, would tell you that being a woman means to challenge gender roles. She values her womanhood as a chance to show men what she is capable of. She looks at the world without fear of judgments others may have of her. My sister is passionate about farming, animals, and hands-on tasks such as fixing. She is tough, resilient, and hard working. She believes that a woman is independent and does not need a man to bring her happiness, she can find it on her own. Yet, at the same time she feels a woman is a supporting backbone in the family and continually ensures the family is a united front.

Isn't my sister awesome? Keep on proving people wrong Kelly, you have the opportunities of the world at your fingertips.

If you were to ask my mom the same question, again her answer would be different from both mine and my sister's definitions because we are different women.

My mom believes the definition of a woman is to be the caretaker of her family, always supporting her husband and children in everything they do and plan to do in their lives. She believes a woman is a strong and confident leader who is an example to her children and everyone around her. My mom believes that a woman is in charge of carrying out the household tasks making sure everything is continually taken care of for her family. My mom is an amazing woman and I look up to her strength, willpower, and love for her family every single day.

If you were to ask a woman in my sorority, Sheela, the definition of what it means to be a woman, again you would see a different answer.

Sheela believes being a woman is being the truest version of yourself. She believes it's about finding the skin you love to be in. For her, the skin she's made of is built upon her compassionate heart and her empowering persona. Sheela is the type of woman who address problems and finds solutions. Her bubbly and light-hearted personality brings energy to the room. Sheela is a great mentor and I know she will accomplish many amazing feats throughout her lifetime.

As you can see, all of these answers differ in some way. There is not one specific definition for the role of a woman in the world. The possibilities are endless.

So, embrace your womanhood, love your differences, bond over your similarities, but always remember you are a woman and that in itself is a beautiful thing.