What Does it Mean if someone says PFP?

What Does it Mean if someone says PFP?

Whether you are a Baby Boomer or Generation X, it is likely you use abbreviations in your everyday discourse. From texting, emailing or even conversing face to face in real-time, abbreviations consumer our language and the way in which we communicate with one another.

47897
Someone says PFP

Have you noticed that abbreviations seem to be the norm nowadays?

But more so than for just conversing, using abbreviations highlight certain trends or topics that are important to the mainstream public. Who can forget back in the day when LOL went viral? It was a cute moment where the old-timers thought it meant lots of love and the youngsters used it to mean laugh out loud.

If you used it, you certainly thought you were cool—regardless of the context you meant by it. And the same goes for all the other trendy abbreviations. Currently, those on social media love to post a picture and use the caption IYKYK. This abbreviation means if you know, you know and implies a secondary context of needing to know more about the picture than what just meets the eye. It also offers a chance for people to relate, if they have been in a similar situation that the image is representing.

But IYKYK is not the only abbreviation currently on-trend. PFP has also become the norm. But have you ever wondered to yourself, what does PFP mean and how can you use it in a conversation so that it makes sense?

Well not to worry. We are here to help you master the use of one of the trendiest abbreviations and give you multiple scenarios where it works to use PFP.

Defining PFP

PFP does not simply mean one thing. In fact, it is an abbreviation that can be used in multiple ways, depending on the topic of conversation.

Scenario #1:

The first use of PFP that is used for mainstream conversational purposes is a picture for proof.

We live in a world where we are bombarded with images daily and have become routine to share the moments of our lives through snaps on Snapchat, Instagram and Facebook. In fact, images have become so dominant in our social media lives that people expect photographic evidence of something now.

PFP when used in this context could play out in a conversation like this:

Person A: "Guess what, I just got sat next to Katy Perry at IHOP!"

Person B: "What? PFP!"

Or, in the context of posting on social media, Michael Phelps—the most decorated Olympian of all time—could play into this abbreviation trend by posting a picture of all his Olympic medals with the caption PFP. Guaranteed this post would quickly go viral.

Scenario #2:

The second way in which PFP is used in mainstream conversation today is as profile picture.

Practically all social media channels require users to have a profile picture for recognition. Depending on the platform and the persona that the user wants to take, options for a profile picture are endless. But on average, most people put a lot of time and effort into curating the perfect image to represent themselves. Others make humorous selections.

PFP in this context could play out in a conversation like this:

Person A: "Check out my new PFP. Dustin took it for me."

Person B: "That is fire! My PFP is so old I need a new one."

Or, in the context of social media, you could share an Instagram story or Facebook post that says something along the lines of "Hi followers, new PFP. Show it some love!".

Other Meanings of PFP

Now, while these to phrases are the most common meanings for PFP, that goes without saying that there are numerous other phrases or names that PFP could represent. Everything from a Personal Finance Professional to Pizza for Philadelphia, this abbreviation is endless with possibilities.

But the chances are, these meanings will rarely be used unless amongst a niche group of people who would already have a heads up that the meaning of PFP is something a bit more obscure.

So it is important to read your audience before throwing out this abbreviation into the conversation.

Closing Thoughts on PFP

When using abbreviations such as PFP, we are making a phrase and the conversation in general much more personal.

By using PFP with others, you are acknowledging that you both have upfront understanding and connection to the phrase, which automatically makes your dialogue more intimate. It also forces your brain to engage more in the conversation.

How will you be using PFP in the future?