What Documentary Should You Watch This Week?

From the crazy conspiracy theorists to the animal rights activists, there's a documentary for everyone to enjoy.

14
Down Under Winebar

There's a lot of really good documentaries floating around out there in the world, and I know how overwhelming it can be to find one that suits your interests. I mean, free time is limited for most of us and you don't want to start watching a documentary one evening and then realize halfway through that it's just not going in the direction you were hoping. So here's a tidy list of documentaries based on some standard personality types. Budding social justice warrior? Hardcore animal activist? I got you covered:

1. Are you a conspiracy theorist?

Don't be ashamed, we've all fallen down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole one time or another. I like to think that I'm an intelligent person too, I swear, but a well made documentary can convince me of just about anything. So if you're looking for something to really turn reality on it's head you have a couple of options, because there is no lack of conspiracy documentaries. "Zeitgeist" (2007) is my number one favorite conspiracy film, and the grandfather of the conspiracy documentary in my opinion. It hits just about everything; Religion, 9/11, Big Banks, but what sets "Zeitgeist" apart is that it is very, very believable and convincing. It does an excellent job of presenting its theories as intelligent fact, and I promise that at the end of it you'll be half laughing at the extremity of its theories but also half believing that yeah, maybe 9/11 was an inside job. There's two other "Zeitgeist" films that are just as mind blowing as the first: "Addendum" (2008) and "Moving Forward" (2011), and watching all three in one night will literally melt your brain down into a puddle. If you're looking for something a little less intense, "The Hidden Hand: Alien Contact and the Government Cover-Up" (2013) is a great little film that covers the Reptillian theory, the problem of alien abduction, the use of alien technology, and the government's work to cover it all up. It's a trip to watch, and while it's not as well made as "Zeitgeist" it stills leaves you questioning who is and isn't an alien.

2. Are you a social justice warrior?

I love a good documentary that enrages my inner need for justice. I love watching things that just make me want to change the world because I'm so pissed off at it. "The Hunting Ground" (2015) is a recent Academy Award nominated film about sexual assault on college campuses. You may have heard about it in the news about how the filmmakers directly attacked specific college athletics and fraternities for their high rate of reported sexual assaults and their low rate of being penalized for said assaults. It's a very well made and emotional film, and it will leave you not only more aware of this growing epidemic, but also wanting to do more to help spread awareness. "Bully" (2011) is another great film about the bullying problem currently affecting the country. What makes "Bully" so incredible is that it really does an excellent job at showing the viewer how they might have accidentally been a part of the problem at some point, and how a lot of the problems with our country today trace all the way back to the bullying that happens on the playground. It will piss you off and make you sad, and that's a great thing for a documentary to achieve. Some other notable SJW films: "The Invisible War" (2012), which discusses the problem of sexual assault in the military, and "Waiting for Superman" (2010), which takes an inside look at the issues facing America's failing public school system.

3. Are you an animal rights activist?

I'm an animal lover to the max, but I always have to be careful when watching animal rights documentaries because they make me sadder than any other genre. So, be warned, these documentaries can be very disturbing and emotional for those who are extra sensitive to the plights of animals. Obviously, "Blackfish" (2013), is one of the most famous animal rights films to ever hit the public in recent years. So, because it's so famous, I'm not going to spend a lot of time discussing why it is a must see, just that I think it's incredible how "Blackfish" proved that documentaries can absolutely change the world. Another famous documentary is "Food Inc." (2008), a film that exposes the reality of factory farming in America and how terrible it is for the animals who are being butchered. This was the film that pushed me over the edge into vegetarianism, as I couldn't stand the idea of my meat coming from conditions such as the ones highlighted in "Food Inc." It is a very raw and disturbing look at the ways in which mega farms are operating. "Maximum Tolerated Dose" (2012) is a little lesser known, but just as impactful, documentary about animal testing. It includes testimonials from scientists who have practiced animal testing and have since denounced it, and from people who have rescued animals from testing facilities. It's heartbreaking, and will change the way you look at companies who continue to test on animals.

4. Are you uncomfortable with organized religion?

There's many a people who believe in God but are uneasy with the practices of organized churches and religions. There's several documentaries that touch base on this subject, and my personal favorite is "Jesus Camp" (2006), which is about a very radical Evangelical youth camp in middle America. It's, at first viewing, a little funny, but after a while it becomes more eerily disturbing and uncomfortable to watch. It does a great job of not taking any one side either, but rather just showing the camp for what it is and not pushing any particular agenda. "Religulous" (2008) is a lighter, more comedic documentary, but it's also an interesting look into the way religion is done throughout the world. Hosted by comedian Bill Maher, "Religulous" doesn't just focus on criticisms of one religion, but rather dishes on all the major religions of the world. It's not as "smart" as some other documentaries, but it's very funny and lined with interesting ideas. "The Unbelievers" (2013) is a must-see for those who are interested in the science vs religion conversation. This documentary follows two scientists, Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss, as they take the conversation about the importance of science and reason to different areas of the globe.

5. Are you just trying to watch something uplifting and don't really want to cry for 90 minutes?

Sometimes I just don't want to watch all this heavy, emotional bullshit. Sometimes I want to just kick back with a documentary that is light and fun to watch and doesn't leave me questioning everything about my life. "Happy" (2011) is a documentary that is simply about just that: happiness. It takes viewers on a journey throughout the world to different communities and how they define their happiness. It's a beautiful documentary that highlights the smallest pleasures in life and how meaningful they are to people. It's impossible to watch this documentary and not feel a sense of tranquility and contentment afterwards. "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" (2011) is another light documentary that is simply about one of Japan's most famous sushi masters, and how his hard work and dedication to his craft inspired generations of chefs and foodies. What makes "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" so uplifting is the genuine joy Jiro Ono has had throughout his career, and the way in which he inspired his family to follow their dreams, always. Finally, one of my favorite documentary series, "Planet Earth" (2006) is an incredible look at the world. Just the whole, big, beautiful world and all the amazing creatures that live here. It's amazing to see what exists on this planet, and "Planet Earth" will leave you feeling amazed and honored to be alive. I highly suggest watching it after viewing a more, heavy, documentary. It's an instant mood lifter.