9 Things College Students Need To Hear

1. Breathe

You have so many things going on right now: homework, studying, practices, rehearsals, and more. if you're feeling overwhelmed by everything you need to do today, this week, or this semester, start by taking a deep breath.

2. Take your time.

We're always being rushed to decide the important things. We feel pressure to choose college, a major, an internship, or a career. Believe it or not, you have the rest of your life to decide how you'll spend it. Don't let pressure from others influence you.

3. Don't forget to eat.

I'll admit that sometimes I have been so busy with homework and rehearsals that I forgot to go to the dining hall or microwave some Easy Mac. I know I shouldn't let this happen, but it does, and it makes me feel horrible. It doesn't matter how busy you are, your body needs fuel to keep going, and it will thank you for taking care of it.

4. You are not alone.

Surprisingly, college can be lonely at times. When you feel lost in a crowd or if your alone in your dorm room, get together with friends, call your family, or get on the old high school group chat. There are so many people out there who believe in you. Maybe you don't always see them, but they're always there ready to cheer you on.

5. Do something that makes you happy.

If you're miserable in your major, change it to a subject that you're passionate about. If there's a club or activity you want to try, go for it. If you need some time with friends, go to dinner with them. If you miss your family, call them or go home for the weekend. Need I say more?

6. Sleep as much as you can.

What time did you come home from practice? How late did you stay up last night studying? It's easy to neglect sleep, but it takes a toll on your mind and body. Even if it means losing an hour of studying, making sure you're well rested will prepare you just as well for exams, games, and performances.

7. It's okay to change your mind.

I recently changed my second major from actuarial science to professional writing. I honestly liked math, but I was miserable in the classes I was taking. I thought if I hate my life right now, imagine what it will be like when the classes get harder and the work load is more intense. So I followed my heart, and now I'm studying something that I'm passionate about and I'll find a career in. The decision to change your mind might arise at difficult times, but you will be so happy when you do so.

8. Things will work out.

We're going to make beautiful memories in college, but there will also be days that feel like the world is crashing down on us. When you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, just remember that it's there. You need to keep going to reach it.

9. You are loved.

Your family wants the best for you. Your professors want you to succeed. Your friends are there with words of encouragement and praise. I know you might feel at rock bottom, but there are so many people ready to lift you up and love you.