What Cheerleading Taught Me

What Cheerleading Taught Me

Life Lessons From the Girls with Glittery Eyes and Colorful Bows

94
What Cheerleading Taught Me
Twitter

Cheerleading taught me more than just pep and spirit or how to do my make up and "cheer" hair . It gave me more than high jumps and leadership skills. It taught me a lot of skills that I have applied in other areas of my life. I have my family, friends, coaches, and team mates to thank for teaching me these.

1. You always catch her when she falls.

For cheer this meant, the flyer was to never hit then mat when she fell. Your stunt group had to earn her trust and keep it. It was their responsibility to protect her and keep her safe from getting hurt.

The same applies in life, good friends have your back whether things are going great or if you're having some trouble and fall. You build trust with those close to you.

2. Sometimes you just have to fake it ‘till you make it.

So your shoe flew off in the middle of your tumbling pass or your flyer whacked you with her arm when you caught her - keep going. You don't stop in the middle of the routine. I watched a girl perform once with a broken foot and another after throwing up on the mat. You don't give up. You shrug it off, smile, and carry on. Maybe you're sore from a long practice of conditioning, don't let it stop you - push harder.

In life we often feel like giving up when we're in pain. Keep going, it feels so much better to accomplish something than to just give up.

3. How to do it all?

Well, I have two papers, a test, and a lab report due this week but there's a big game Friday night and a state competition on Saturday that I have to pack for ... now what... cheer taught me you have to stay organized and manage your time.

In life there can be a lot to do as we get older, you have to stay on top of things, prioritize and manage your time. Is going out to frinks at the bars really worth it when you have two tests that week? Can't it wait until Friday night?

4. I need some TLC.

Don't forget to take care of yourself in the process. Exercise, eat healthy, stay hydrated, and get plenty of sleep. Your team needs you, and you need them.

The same applies in college. Eating fast food every day and staying out ‘till 4am sounds great until you've gained the freshman 15 and slept through a class that gave a pop quiz. Make sure you get enough sleep and eat healthy.

5. You don't have to do it on your own.

Being on team made me realize that my independent self could rely on others and that we are all in this together. We win together and lose together. Every person matters. Everyone has a part.

Join a club, make a study group, or have some one to grab coffee with. You're not alone. You don't have to stress out for finals alone. You don't have to sit at the cafeteria alone. I bet there are people who need you like you need them. Trust me, having someone to study with, to go out with or to get food with is better with others.