What Changes When You Have A Long Distance Relationship With Your Sister

Our rooms aren't across the hall from each other anymore.

62
Penny Haran

My younger sister and I are extremely close and when she decided to go to college in Florida, 15 hours away from me, it broke my heart. (I’m actually kind of glad she did because I get to visit the sunshine state regularly!) If you have a sibling that you are forced to have a long-distance relationship with, you understand. Living far away from her is an adjustment because so many things change when you don’t get to see each other frequently anymore.

You have to schedule time to chat.

Since both of us are in college, our schedules are all over the place and we have to figure out times that are convenient for both of us. Our rooms aren’t 50 feet away anymore, they’re 1,000 miles away. Phone calls and FaceTimes with my sister are more special than they used to be, and we have a lot more to talk about, which leads me to my next point.

Visiting each other

Going to different schools makes visiting each other so fun! It’s almost like a vacation because you get to explore a new place. We can tour each other’s campuses, meet each other’s friends, and basically have a sleepover.

You have to explain your stories.

My sister and I went to the same high school. We knew each other’s friends, teachers, and classes, so gossiping was simple - but now that we’re at different schools so far away, we don’t really know these things about each other. This requires more detail and background information when catching up on each other’s lives.

You don’t have two closets anymore.

Getting dressed used to mean pulling options from two closets, but not anymore! My sister has some really cute clothes that I miss so much. Granted this did lead to a few arguments about taking each other’s clothes, but we pretty much shared everything. Sometimes I catch myself getting dressed and wishing I had her Free People sweater because it would complete my outfit. I don’t know if anyone else does this with their sister, but sometimes we would buy clothes together and split the cost so we could “share” it while saving money. This complicates things a lot when we’re packing for school. Savannah, I think we might be the only people who have shared custody of a tank top.

You send each other pictures of everything.

We still try to know everything about each other’s lives, but since we aren’t together we send pictures to each other of everything. What she had for dinner, outfit possibilities, friends, and the weather (since Delaware and Florida usually have pretty different weather forecasts).

Bonding over missing the dog

Since we’re both at college now, we both miss our dog a lot. It used to be just me but now we get to share the sadness that we both don’t get to snuggle our dog every day.

I miss my sister so much now that she’s away at school, but it makes being with her more special and fun. Sav, when do you come home again?