What Being a Student Athlete is Actually Like

The truth about the social life, going to class, team image, and participation of being a college athlete.

400
123rf.com

Behind the glamour and apparent stardom (sarcasm of course) that comes with being a college athlete, are truths that do not permeate into the minds and perspectives of aspiring NCAA participants and others in general. Take it from someone who is entering his junior year as a Division 1 hockey player, being a student athlete is not what you think.

1. Your Social Life

Sure, when you are out-of-season, there are many parties and fun to be had, but that comes to a halt while in-season. In the off-season, your daily schedules are fixed with workouts and occasional captain practices but it is nothing like in-season schedules. Every day, on top of classes, you have workouts, video, team or personal meetings, practice, and homework, then the next day you have to do it again until game-day. Of course, Saturday night (after the game) and during the day on Sunday, there is some freedom like in the off-season but then, Monday comes. That is if you have home games that weekend, or if the opposing campus is close because if not, you are not going out that weekend. We live for the weekends, but even then, there is still only a handful of hours to have. The rest is consumed by trying to get your homework done on time, while also, focusing on the game that starts in about five hours. But hey, you may be lucky, your team may have only a 48-hour rule, which gives you an extra day to try and do something but, remember, you still have practice the next day.

2. Class

What you need to constantly remember (which you will because your coach will remind you every day) is that you are under a microscope from the teachers, other students, and the community outside the campus. That means while in class, while at the cafeteria, while out shopping, while walking on campus, while out having fun, or while in the library, you are constantly being viewed and judged by every action, and word you mutter. It is also safe to say; your social media is under the same if not higher scrutiny so you need to think before you post. Unfortunately, you lose a sense of self when you become part of a college team, and become an extension or image of the team. You are a representation, so you better be responsible.

4. Playing

You were told that you are a great player and that you have the potential to be an impact player? Join the club, because you are not the only person who had been told that, and probably, most of the players on your team was told the same thing at one point. You thought you were the only good player going to your school? You may have been the best or one of the best in high school but this is college, the best from a numerous amount of high schools are there with you. You will not just be handed the starting the spot or be put on the first two lines right away. You are going to have work harder than you had before to separate from the pack, and believe me it will be frustrating and make you feel like shit when you do not make the top spot. It can bring you in a bad place if you let it, because this sport could be all you know, but you need to remember, it is still just a game, and try and have the most fun you can have with each moment because soon enough, your playing days will soon be over.

Do not get me wrong, being an athlete in college is not as gloomy as this article persists. To be a college athlete is great and holds a lot of advantages, perks and fun attributes that make college very enjoyable. With this article, I am merely stating that there are a few truths about being a student athlete that you may not be aware of. Take it as a “heads up” for what is to come, or a new perspective and not as a disparaging manifesto of sorts.