I Went To College A Week Early And Here's What Happened

Moral of this post is that going back to college early is just like being the one who show up for the party at 10, it's just weird.

12
Alexis Berdine

For all of you who are bored out of your mind sitting in your small hometown, and going to bed at 8pm every night, don’t feel so bad about it. I totally feel your pain, don’t get me wrong, the pace of being at home for summer is totally different from your pace of life at school. But, there is NOTHING more awkward than being at college early. So stop complaining, and keep shoving the left overs from last night’s home made dinner into your mouth, while you kick back on your parent's couch, because your hometown is where you can spend all day watching Bravo and feel good about it. In your college town, 12 hours of reality TV just doesn’t fly. Take it from a girl who got to school a week early, it’s just not the same. There are two things that you can count on college for, constant homework and constant plans. At this point, I even want to do homework because it is just so painfully boring. It’s basically like an episode of Life After People. Same brown buildings, same sub-par food courts, same poorly landscaped frat houses, but literately zero people. Okay, like maybe 15 people, but still. Look I get it, you have a job that starts before the semester begins, you have sorority recruitment work week, or anything like that, and hey that's life. So you pack your bags, and peace out way too soon. You may think that you are leaving your redundant hometown, and moving on to bigger and better things. Well, reality check, you’re actually leaving your family, hometown friends, and 3 cooked meals a day until Welcome Week comes around and saves your from the unending awkwardness of being what feels like the only person on campus.

Don’t believe me yet? Here’s a break down of the typical post-civilization day- provided by your’s truly.

8 am - Wake up

Why am I waking up this early?

Oh funny story, because you actually go to bed at a decent time when you’re the only human on campus.

9 am - *Still scrolling through Instagram*

Don’t judge, because you’re definitely just as guilty of Insta-stalking as the next bored girl.

10 am - Eats breakfast ALONE.

No, I don’t mean alone at a table in the dinning hall with a gazillion people around you. I mean awkwardly munching on a granola bar alone in your bedroom, while still Insta-stalking of course.

11 am- Starts cleaning random stuff

There's not even any logic to it, everything is getting cleaned, and not because your mom is coming in town and is going to see your room. It really is just that sad and boring, so cleaning… just to clean *gasp*… is what’s going down before it's even noon.

Noon- Takes a shower, inevitably gets ready for a pretty slow day.

This consists of taking way longer on make up and hair than you thought you ever could, because if you can’t see your friends who aren’t at school yet, you might as well use all of that time you’ve got to look cute and send snaps to them.

2 pm - Randomly walks around campus.

At least your Fitbit is happy about this.

3 pm - Grabs a bite to eat with one of the few people on campus.

It’s important to note that this small human interaction is deff. the highlight of the day.

5 pm - Watches Netflix

But wouldn’t you just be doing the same thing back home? YUP.

7 pm - Guess it's time for dinner now?

Eats unsatisfying dinner that is not home cooked nor served at a dinner table.

8 pm - Watches more Netflix and falls asleep.

8:00? Sleep? College? … I know right? But it actually happens.

Lucky for me, this daily struggle was just that, only a day or two of compete and utter agony. I had to be back at school early to prep for recruitment so most of my days were spent with my sorority sisters. Its simple, college is never boring because there’s always people. While you might have too much on your plate at times, at least you always have something. When you’re alone on campus post-welcome week, its just uncomfortable. College is basically a utopia, but when you remove all of the people you’re just left with a bunch of wide empty sidewalks, and nothing to do.

Moral of this post is that going back to college early is just like being the one who shows up for the party at 10, it's just weird.