12 Reasons I'm Glad I Went To College With My Brother

From homecoming to graduation, he was right by my side.

42
Author's photo

1. I had a sense of home 13 hours from my actual house.

13 hours is a long way from home, but Adam made Furman feel like home. I mean it eventually did become my “home,” but he’s the one that opened that door for me. I knew where nothing was in town, while in St. Louis I can get you anywhere without a map. He helped me through finding where everything was in Greenville and on campus, without making me feel stupid (well most times). Having him by my side gave me a sense of familiarity and hope for the future.

2. I had a shoulder to cry on whenever I needed it.

Man did I cry the first semester. Whether it was stupid boys, fights with my parents, my grades, injuries, or just anxiety. He was there for everything and I knew I could count on him to be there for me.

3. I shared a car with him (saved $$).

Yes, this sucked A LOT because I would never get the care when I needed it, but it was his technically. But, it saved a lot of gas and money by only having one car on campus.

4. I had a buddy on our long journey home.

13 hours is a long time let me tell you. So having someone who can play a certain playlist on Spotify to keep me going through that car ride, it's bomb. Yes, I did drive the whole time, but it was fun and entertaining.

5. His friends became my first friends on campus.

Move in day was already stressful, but some of Adam's friends were on Orientation staff and I knew most of them because I had met them on my journeys to Furman before I went there. It was nice to just have people that could eat lunch with you and want to get to know you better, not just as my brother's sister. It made me feel welcome, so thank you, guys.

6. His girlfriend became a great friend of mine and inspired me in many ways.

Man oh man, could I go on about this girl. Elly, you're amazing and I shouldn't say too much but I may dedicate an article to you later because you are incredible. You inspired me to not let boys get to me, stay focused, and enjoy the good times. You made me realize that people can change and change is always a good thing. You were there to comfort me during difficult times and also were totally okay with Adam running to my rescue, even if Y'all were together. Elly, thank you for being such an inspiration to me and I am so glad you are dating my brother.

7. He pushed me harder than ever.

In high school, I had to compete to live up to his expectations given by parents and teachers. But college was different because it was no longer a challenge against him, but trying to improve me daily. Whether that was mental, grade wise, or physically, he motivated me and allowed me to be a better me. If I faltered, he was there to be a shoulder to lean on and continue forward.

8. He made my favorite meals when I was upset.

I hate to admit but his fried rice is AMAZING and that is one of my favorite meals ever. I was really upset one weekend and spent the night on Saturday in his apartment. That Sunday night he invited me to eat fried rice with some of his friends and that was one of my happiest days, besides the barbecue night with Improv.

9. He made me feel good about myself when others didn't.

Not going to lie, freshman year was tough with friendships and some people made me feel terrible about myself and my actions. So I would call him up and he would pick me up and we would hang out on his porch remembering fond times back in St. Louis. Or his girlfriend and he would pick me up and we would watch some of my favorite movies to cheer me up.

10. He knew how to calm me down better than anyone else.

Although he had never witnessed one of my panic attacks before this spring semester, he knew how to handle it really well. We drove down the highway and ended up getting stuck in a large storm, but the views were worth it.

11. He took me out to food and paid for me (or mom paid him back).

Whether it was early morning waffle house runs or late night cookout runs, he was always ready for an adventure. Plus he had the car, so I would mention food and he’d be down for going. Plus sometimes our mom would pay him back for taking me out when I wasn’t doing so hot.

12. He loved me no matter how many times I cried, yelled, or failed.

Freshman year was a time for ups and downs, yet no matter what happened to me or what I did, he would always be there for me. Having my brother at college with me was the best decision I ever made because he was my main motivator and supporter throughout all of the life's twisted experiences.

I highly recommend going to the same college as a sibling, even for one year like I did; it is well worth it to be able to carry a piece of home with you to your next home. I am so lucky and blessed with a brother who cares for others more than himself (most of the time).

Thank you, Adam, for one wonderful year together, now go kill it in NC.