The Weirdest And Best Things About Being 19

At age 19, life can be awesomely strange.

912
Mary Day

This past weekend, I celebrated my 19th birthday with some great friends and family. Every year, I realize just how much has changed from the year before- about me, the people around me, day to day life. Here are some of the weirdest/greatest things about age 19:

1. At age 19, you may be single, dating, or getting married.

Recently, a friend I've had since kindergarten posted photos announcing her engagement. I was beyond excited for her. Meanwhile, some of us are dating people still in high school. Others are making the absolute most of being the most eligible college bachelor/bachelorette.

At 19, you realize the rules of dating are completely thrown off. It's acceptable to be dating someone that's 21 or 17. You can be getting married, thinking about the possibility of being married like 5 years from now, or just hanging out with someone new each night living that version of your best life.

2. At age 19, you see how many people God has intentionally placed in your life.

Leaving high-school was both exciting and scary for me as I'd been surrounded by the same friend group and people my entire life.

College and my sorority have blessed me with so many amazing new friends, but I have remained close and in touch with some of those high school friends that could never be replaced.

One of the coolest things about finishing out your first year of college is seeing how much your relationships with others have grown or changed and how many people God has placed in your life for the long haul.

I know that so many of the friends I've made this year will be life-long friends and the friends I've had my entire life will remain and always be there.

3. At age 19, you may not want a birthday party, but you'd love a day with your family.

I had to come home and eat my favorite dinner with my family, not because they asked for it, but because I did.

I love spending time celebrating with my friends, but nothing beats 'mama's cookin' and the love and laughs at the dinner table. No matter how old I get, that is something that will always be important to me.

Party plans have changed over the years from 50's theme to the tomboy sports theme staged, to the casual take your friends to the movies because you're too cool for anything else middle school years, to the college edition of dinner and a night out, but a birthday dinner with family is one thing that I know will never change.

4. At age 19, you could have it all together, or you might have absolutely nothing figured out.

I have friends with real jobs. I have friends with families of their own. I have friends who failed the first semester. I have an undeclared major. Some people are forced to grow up quickly.

Some people never grow up at all. But at 19, personally, I know that I really have nothing figured out, and that's okay for where I'm at. Other people have found and taken different paths, and that has been the best for them. As for me, 19 will be another year to wait and see where life wants takes me.

5. At age 19, you can still be surprised.

Honestly, I thought after 18 years and one college semester under my belt I had seen it all (which I know to people older than me probably seems very funny but I've been surprised in a lottt of ways), but people can still surprise you.

Sometimes, it's in the worst ways. Other times, the little unexpected things can restore your faith in humanity. There's always something new to learn- even about the people you've known forever- or something new to see- even in the town you've been living in for months. Most often when you least expect it, or maybe when you really need it, there's some kind of surprise waiting.