Weird Sh*t You Actually Need For Freshman Year Of College

Packing for college is a daunting task.

14

You won't forget the obvious, like bedding and clothes, but there's some other random sh*t that you may not even realize you need. Bring these items with you to make your year easier!

1. Robe. You're gonna have to shower in college, no matter how hard you try to avoid it. There's nothing more uncomfortable than tiptoeing down your hall clutching a too-small towel and trying to avoid eye contact with the opposite sex. As a freshman, you'll probably have a communal bathroom, which means a robe is a necessity. #robegangorDIE.

2. Sleep mask. According to your roommate survey, you and Mary go to bed around the same time! According to real life, that b*$^! is up until 4 a.m. slaving away on her lab report with the lights on full blast. Invest in a sleep mask so you can sleep comfortably -- no matter what your roommate is doing or the time of day. You can pick one up for cheap at Target or Rite Aid. 

3. Keurig/coffee maker. Your campus has Starbucks, so why not just go there? Here's why: because it's what everyone else does. You'll have to wake up an extra 30 minutes earlier to get your cup of joe and make it to class on time. Plus, all the extra shots and added non-fat caramel syrup that you like to get in your latte will run up the price. You don't want to drop $4 on coffee every day. Buy yourself a Keurig to save time and money in the long run. 

4. Lots of socks. If you wear shoes every day (I hope you do), that's five pairs of socks you're killing a week. And newsflash -- it's unlikely you'll have the time to do laundry every week. Bring a lot of socks. Like, so many socks that it seems ridiculous. Same goes for underwear. 

5. Pictures of your fam/friends/dog. You don't want to look like a sociopath who has no past or feelings. Secondly, you need a little color in your white-washed room. And lastly, it'll be nice to have some pictures that remind you of the good times when -- not if -- you get a little bit homesick. 

A few things not to bring: Your varsity jacket (leave it in high school, bud), anything made of glass (it will end up broken -- buy plastic wine glasses) and sweaters you know you'll never wear, but your mom wants you to have, just in case.