10 Weird, Everyday Behaviors All Theatre Kids Are Guilty Of

Whether you were once a theatre kid, or still are, these few weird perks will always be a part of who you are.

798
Wicked the Musical Company

There is nothing more awkward than having that nice drive home on a beautiful summer day, windows down and letting the breeze fill your car, and then pulling up to a stop light only to have your radio blast "Dead Girl Walking" and the driver next to you gives you the dirtiest look you've ever received. Some of you don't understand why this would be so uncomfortable. It's just another song on the radio with an incredibly strange title.

But this article is for those who understand that that particular song is one of the most sexual songs on Broadway. Moments like these are things that seem to occur in a theatre kid's life every day, no matter how much they try to avoid them from happening. But with the awkward moments come some unusual perks that only those who share the spotlight will understand.

1. I can give a Hamlet sized monologue in front of a full house, but not give a five-minute speech in class

You love projecting your favorite lines from your favorite play, but there is a huge difference between performing in front of people you may never have to see again, versus speaking in front of peers you see every day. Yeah, one of those options is a lot easier.

2. I can sing word for word a solo from "Hello, Dolly!" but not know any words from that new Justin Bieber song

Most theatre kids can sometimes be really out of the loop with modern day music. They only spend half of their day in rehearsal and the other half singing the musical songs in their heads.

3. Gym class will be the death of me but give me some tap shoes and I can do a whole number

Another weird thing that never seems to make sense. Something about going on stage and just dancing your heart out is much more thrilling and exhilarating than playing soccer or risking getting hit in the face with a football.

4. Taking two hours to get ready in the morning, but also taking ten minutes for hair, makeup, and full costume change

When your director says to be ready in five, you will get ready in five. Believe it or not, the show WILL go on with or without you. But hey, mornings are for you, take your time.

5. Paying attention would be easy in history class if there was a musical version of that time period we are studying

Hamilton, Newsies... Who doesn't want to learn about some pretty interesting historical facts that come with really catchy solos, elaborate dance numbers, and even cuter actors?

6. Wishing you could just break out into a dramatic solo rather than explaining your feelings

Singing your feelings just seems to make sense. Those musicals usually have happy endings because of it, right?

7. The only social life you have is rehearsal for whatever show you're in, and you like it

Five plus hours singing, dancing, eating, and talking to your closest friends? Yeah, no complaining here.

8. When the herd of theatre kids gets together, you all have assigned roles for each musical soundtrack

It just makes sense this way. You can't sing every part by yourself, even if you try to do it in the shower.

9. Your parents are mad at you, feel guilty. Director is mad at you, life is officially over

Parents have a strong effect on you when they get disappointed. But upsetting your director, just run.

10. Going to the stage will always turn around a bad day

After a stressful day that seems to never end, going to the place that makes you happy and at home is the best medicine.

All these things may seem really weird and almost impossible to even make sense of, but just ask the theatre kid in your life and they'll explain. Theatre and the stage are what makes every theatre nerd get up in the mornings. From plays about mental illnesses to unrequited love, LGBT issues, and so much more, there is a home for every individual. Whether you were once a theatre kid, or still are, these few weird perks will always be a part of who you are.