What You Missed Last Week In The Twitterosphere

What trending topics dominated your timelines this week? #LochteGate, #Olympics, #SoGoneChallenge + More

4
Twitter

These were some of the trending topics for the week of August 14th:

#LochteGate

This week Ryan Lochte took yet another L, and this time it wasn't at the hands of Michael Phelps.

Last week, Lochte told an elaborate story of getting robbed and held at gunpoint while in Rio, and after flying back to the United States, it was revealed that he made the whole thing up and actually, whilst drunk, broke the bathroom door at a local gas station.

What's more interesting, however, is how the story was spun by the media. From being referred to as "just a kid," to using diction such as "embellishment" as opposed to "lie," the media made Lochte look more like a victim than the culprit he was in reality.

Twitter, of course, was less lax upon hearing the truth, and thus, the #LochteGate hashtag was born, spurring countless memes and even harsh reprimand from Today Show host Al Roker. You can see this video, and some of my favorite #LochteGate tweets below:

#AllOfThem

When CNN host Brianna Keilar asked Michael Cohen, one of presidential candidate Donald Trump's aides, about a rumored recent campaign overhaul, this comedic exchange occurred:

As soon as this hit Twitter, it took off and was soon a trending topic last Wednesday. All I have to say is that the "deny everything" strategy only works when there isn't evidence that proves otherwise. It's like any episode of Maury, and the baby in question looks like a carbon copy of the father, yet denies the child. Then when Maury says "...you ARE the father!" he's shocked and surprised.

Michael Cohen, do better.

#HiddenFigures

In the world of film, the trailer for the highly anticipated Film "Hidden Figures" was released this past week. The upcoming major motion picture, which is slated for aJanuary 13th release, focuses on three African-American mathematicians (played by Janelle Monae, Taraji P. Henson, and Octavia Spencer) who were played an integral part in launching an astronaut into outer space. You can watch the trailer below:

#SoGoneChallenge

It was only a matter of time until another Twitter challenge went viral.

This time around it's the #SoGoneChallenge where amateur and professional rappers alike freestyle over the beat to R&B singer Monica's hit song "So Gone", which was produced by Missy Elliott. Below are some of my favorites (some of these videos may not be safe for work due to language and subject matter, so be sure to pop in some headphones):

#LouisianaFlood

Did you hear about the flooding in Louisiana? Because most people didn't.

Not having adequate coverage by traditional news outlets, word traveled quickly throughout social media due to its declaration as a "state of emergency" and the various photos that were uploaded of the damage the flooding has caused.

As we keep those affected in our thoughts and prayers, look for ways that you can help, no matter how great or small.

# Olympics

Last but certainly not least, the 2016 Olympics concluded this past week in a blaze of glory. Although USA's domination was evident throughout the course of the summer games thanks to the efforts of standouts Simone Biles, Michael Phelps, and Allyson Felix, there were plenty of competitive and nail-biting moments that made for some great memes. Check them out below:

That's all folks, thanks for reading!