Why You Should Wear Black Lipstick

Why You Should Wear Black Lipstick

Because why not?

1190
Why You Should Wear Black Lipstick
Gorgeous in Grey

Black lipstick. To most people, it seems utterly impossible to wear as an everyday look. Even I find it a bit intimidating to wear, and I like to think of myself as a pretty daring person when it comes to makeup. I usually only use it for special occasions, but I wish I wore it more often. In fact, I wish everyone wore bold lip colors more often. Unfortunately, as with anything else, it is easier said than done. So if you're unsure whether you should buy that black lipstick, let me help convince you.

1. You don't have to go full goth

One of the biggest worries that most people have about wearing black lipstick is that they think they'll look too goth. Of course looking goth isn't a bad thing, but for some people, it just isn't their style, which is totally cool. The trick to avoiding looking like an AC/DC band member is to use the lipstick as the focal point, and go a bit more neutral everywhere else. Opt for a brown eyeshadow, a bit of mascara and some blush. That way the overall look won't be too overpowering (unless that's what you're going for!)

2. You can prevent feathering and bleeding

Lipstick has a knack for starting on your lips and slowing migrating outwards. This is called feathering or bleeding. I prefer to call it feathering, because bleeding seems a little to gory, but too each their own. Feathering lipstick is already a problem, but with dark lipsticks, especially black, it is looks like you recently made out with a Dementor. That's why you should research before you buy, and you should check out the abundance of tips online that show you how to keep that lip line clean. Generally lip liner does the trick for me, but it all depends on what brand you buy. Speaking of lip liners...'

3. You probably already have a black lip liner

I'm a big fan of multi-use makeup, because who doesn't love saving money? When I got my first black lipstick, I realized I didn't have any lip liner. I was dying to wear it, so instead of being patient, I just used my pencil eyeliner. It works almost as well and the black lip liner I ended up buying later. Plus, you can always use concealer as a reverse lip liner, and that goes for all your lipsticks.

4. There are no-transfer options

My major qualm with lip products is they tend to transfer and smear. If you're like most other humans, then you probably eat, drink, use napkins and absentmindedly touch your mouth throughout the day. With nude and light colors, it isn't such a big deal, but a black smudge is much more obvious. Thankfully there are tons of black liquid lipstick options available. Again, always do a little research before you buy, and try to look at reviews that you can trust. I'm not about to sacrifice food in order to look glamorous.

5. There's no way you won't get at least one compliment

I don't think I've ever worn black lipstick without getting at least one compliment. It is virtually impossible to wear it without looking like a total badass, and I think people (especially those who appreciate makeup) admire the confidence it takes to wear black lipstick.

6. If you love it, wear it

This is what it ultimately comes down to. Makeup should be about experimenting, and wearing things that you think you look good in. If you try on black lipstick and you don't dig it, that's fine! If you try it and you love it, then you should absolutely wear it. There is no right or wrong way to do it, which is all part of the fun.