How Your Friends Are Actually Your Family

When it comes to friends that are like family, it's quality over quantity.

19
Amanda Mona

We Are Framily

Framily: (n) definition: My friends. My close circle of friends who haven’t left my side through my literal “hell and back,” situations.

Let's hit rewind, Sophomore year in high school, I made my transfer from private school to public school with my friends who I had played soccer with. Girls who I had grown close with, had sleepovers with, told my secrets too and stuck close to through out my high school career. From there my circle grew outside of my sports friend. I was the type of person who made friends in every “group” in school. You know the typical “cliques.” So many friends, I would hang out with, go to the beach with, go to parties with. I made friends, from other friends who I grew close too, and as I moved out of high school, on to college, out of one of all those friends, my circle got a little bit smaller.

When college came around I reconnected with old friends, lost some newer ones, picked up more. My circle changed like the oceans tide. I joined clubs, made more friends who had more similar likes as I did. One particular person who I had the pleasure of meeting in the news room of the community college I attended. He was infectious, and left an impression on my life, and others. His name was Levi. He marched to the beat of his own drum, we would talk about life, about our stories, and everything in between. I had envied his way of life, having moved from far away, that he made a didgeridoo out of PVC pipe, just how he saw life in general. When I had moved to Hawaii, he would call just check on me, see how I was doing, and what my life was like. Unfortunately, his life was taken from him, but our friendship I will never forget. I learned from him and our friendship, that I could be myself, no matter what, and that it was important to keep on my journey and doing what made me truly happy. That it was important to march to the beat of my own drum, no matter what.

Now as an adult, I can count all my true friends on both my hands, and I’m okay with that. As life’s journey continues it seems to weed out those who were just suppose to be in your life to teach you something, and those who are there to continue on life path with. That is exactly what I have, I have my framily. These people who I consider my family, and no matter what happens I know that my support system is always there. Through break ups, through having babies, through loss of jobs, and family, traveling and trying to find ourselves. They were there, and that is something that every one needs.

“Quality is better than quantity.” Something my dad told me a long time ago, he would tell me, he had so many friends, but only has one true best friend who he can always count on. When my dad passed along that knowledge, I didn’t think twice about it, like almost that wouldn’t even happen to me, but here I am, 25 years of age and have enough people in my life to make me feel complete. People I can trust to be there when I need someone to talk to, and there to pick me up when I fall. Those qualities, and instances are all what helped me realize who my real friends were, because the ones who stick around to see it all, they are the ones that are worth it. You hit a certain point in your life when your done deciding who is DD-ing that, and more concerned about who you’re going to have stand next to you during the biggest points in your life.

When I got pregnant with my son, my life changed, and made my circle what it is today. I was home a lot, going through all the challenges and changes of new motherhood. Through all my personal troubles, they were there. They were at my house on the nights I couldn’t fall asleep. There when I was home alone, and still by my side today — when I’ve moved into my own house, when my life turned around for the better. The ones that helped me push forward in my life, and in my career, and my goals, just like I do for them.

The most important part of having such a strong core group of friends is the maintaining of that relationship. That is what makes the disagreements worth it, and being there when they need you just as much. For all their moments that are just as important. Because who else is going to truly tell you that stripes aren’t for you and that sea salted dark chocolate helps the bad days. It’s beyond knowing what to say, but also knowing what to do. Friends that you can grow with, learn with, and experience life with. I couldn’t have wished for better people to have in not just my life, but my sons life as well.

To all my friends, who made who I am today, for all the lessons and memories, Thank you.