We Are America

We Are America

We are the change that needs to happen in America.

8
We Are America
Word Press

The day following the election, I found myself jumping on the good ole fashioned Facebook bandwagon as I wrote my own “I’m not one to talk politics” post. I wanted it to be something inspiring, but in the end, i wound up being the one most inspired.

“...America will be okay. It is not our president who makes us, it is not the people who voted for a person you dislike, it is us. We have the power to be the face of America to those we meet. We have the power to change our lives, and our communities. We can make America great for us.

…I do not know what it's like to be a racial minority or have my sexual orientation berated or questioned. I can only empathize for those less privileged than me. I am sorry you will be treated in such nasty ways by certain members of government, but by your community, it's possible things will change. You are allowed to believe in Allah in the same way I do God, and I have faith Both will be looking out for us. Protecting us. I know God has plans for us and is going to watch over everyone. You should never have to be ashamed of who you are, or the way you look, and I am sorry that our country has continually supported people like [Clinton and Trump]

Fight. Fight for your rights and your life… there are things we can do for our community. We can choose to be nicer, more accepting, and more charitable. By promoting a good surrounding, you have the power to influence people more than fear ever will.

We will be around those who accept us for who we are, hopefully, and those are who matter... By separating ourselves, we are becoming the problem. Dividing ourselves, from those with the slightest hint of different views, is dividing our people."

Naturally, my post generated various responses. I felt pride as I received notifications from people saying they agreed with my stance, and admired my positivity on such a dismal feed. My grandfather said I should run for president, and I couldn’t help but smile. One comment, posted by a previous high school librarian of mine, however resonated in a different way:

“Yep. Agree with main message. Disagreement is okay, disappointment with election results okay. Hatred, rage, drama, expressing one's self as morally superior, and blaming others is not okay"

I sat there in disbelief. I felt as though I had something that respected the the opinions of all sides. I must admit, I thought I was being the better person by weighing in with my opinion that the most important thing about the election was peace, while I openly said that Trump and Hilary were both disgusting people, and that the older generation before we millennials were the ones responsible for the mess. I placed the blame on someone, and belittled a vast group of people for not being like them... I criticized those focusing on the divide, while I was doing it myself.

What is something you think when you see a racist (other than screw you)? That you are a better person than them for not holding such barbaric views. Yes, to an extent, I agree that those who are morally “correct” do not possess views like racism and discriminations associated. However, viewing one’s self as morally superior can, in a way, be pretty harmful, and doesn't truly benefit the community. We are dismissing racism by saying we are better, not getting down to the real problem, which is why that person holds such views, and why are we so adamant on dividing ourselves.

Racism is a pressing issue. I'm not going to sit here and pretend that my realization is our modern day racism, but I will admit that it is something we should be aware of, and it is an important way we can change.

We are the change that needs to happen in America. There are horrible things going on in our country that is unacceptable. We aren't better than others because we believe in pro-choice over pro-life. Good people are those who help others, all people, even their enemies. We are the nation and we are the ones that can make a change.

One lone generation, a majority race, and a sexual orientation does not have to be the definition of us. The saying goes "we the people of the United States", not "we the people, those who are not racists and horrible". I do not hold racist values, and I think those who do are ignorant. Ignorant on race, human morality, and community. I disagree with being racist, xenophobic, homophobic, and overall bigoted. I disagree with people thinking they are better than others.

"Many things have happened that show America progressing. Many will look at the turnout as a failure and step back. But remember: The first Somali-American lawmaker was elected in Minnesota; There are increasing numbers of racially diverse women in Congress; I can vote as a female; A woman ran for president and was able to receive a majority vote (Clinton won more popular votes); Inter-racial and Gay Marriage [is] legalized; there is a [general] better awareness of mental health, sexual assault, and sexual and gender identity..." These changes also came from us, all of us, and I want you to be aware of the power we hold.

Trump is not America, nor Clinton, we are. All of us. Yes, there will always be the extremists, and it sickens me that amazing people will be targeted for the things that make them different, but I do believe, that by starting with us, the change can be permanent. Protesting can only get us so far, its standing up for ourselves and being members of our communities that. It is okay to disagree, it is not okay to be mean or view yourself as superior (which is the problem most racists seem to face).