10 Ways Your Mother Is Lorelai Gilmore

10 Ways Your Mother Is Lorelai Gilmore

All you have to do is call her name, and she'll be there.

33
10 Ways Your Mother Is Lorelai Gilmore
Mille Davis

She is your number one fan, your role-model and the best friend you could ever have. Although you might disagree with her every once in a while, you know she always has your best interest at heart. You can talk to her about every embarrassing moment or traumatic event because she has probably already lived it and is equipped to deal with it way better than you ever could. You talk to her at least once a day because going any longer would be simply unbearable (and would merit hours of "catching-up"). She is the only one that understands your weird quirks and obsessions because she has them too. She is proud to call you her daughter and you are even prouder to call her your mother. You would like to think that you didn't learn everything from her, but in all honestly, deep down you know you did.

1. Her eating habits have always influenced yours.

She will get food with you at any time of the day (midnight and early morning snacks included). Your mom is your go-to person when you have intense, crazy and disgusting cravings, even when they are for Al’s Pancake World, which neither of you really like. This includes every flavor of Pop-Tart, pizza, bacon, popcorn, Twizzlers, maple syrup, burgers or all these combined. You name it and she is game. You’re never alone when you need to make a quick trip to the market to clean out their soda, chip and candy aisle. Despite of having Chinese take-out in the fridge from the night before, she will still order more just so it is fresh. She has taught you to out eat every one of your boyfriends while not even caring. Not to mention, she has passed her fantastic metabolism down to you, so no matter what you eat when you are together, you will never gain one pound.

2. You blame your coffee addiction on her.

She tells you she didn’t drink coffee while she was pregnant with you, but you don’t buy it. Since you can remember she was basically filling your sippy cups with milk –– and coffee. You can’t even make it through the morning without at least four cups! This could also explain the collection of coffee cups you have acquired from every place you ever visited and then some. Most of the time a normal sized coffee cup just won’t do the trick, you prefer drinking it out of a cup that is basically a bowl with a handle. You have never understood why people would (or could) drink de-caffeinated coffee. No matter how many cups you have before bed, it never interrupts your slumber, even when you are trying to stay awake. Want to keep up with the “cool kids” at school? You totally can. Caffeine counts as a drug, right? Forget about wine tastings, coffee tastings are much better and don’t require an ID.

3. She will always go to the gym with you, even if you are just pretending to workout.

You decide you want to take up tennis? No problem. Your mom will not only join you to try to learn how (which generally means “just taking a break” the whole time), but will buy you as many cute matching tennis outfits as you need. The gym has always been the place you guys just pretend to be more fit than you actually are. After all, who needs the gym when you can have dance parties in your living room? You are both physically unable to sweat when you go to the gym together, because let’s face it, walking on the treadmill is simply too hard and not worth it anyway. However, this has never stopped you from going to the gym, because you have water bottles that are much easier to pour on yourself than working up an actual sweat. You never understood why the gym was so popular, anyway. Fake it ‘til you make it, right?

4. She throws better parties than anyone.

Birthdays, baby showers and Halloween, no matter what the occasion, she will make it look like it is her job. Every year she threw you a different themed birthday party that made all of your friends jealous. AKA there was no need for an RSVP on the invitation because you knew they would all be there. Think glitter, feather boas, streamers, balloons and endless junk food. Your friends always left happy because she made sure not to forget a bomb goody bag (even if it made the other parents mad). You will always have memorabilia in the attic from every single one. Just in case you ever need to recreate them.

5. Most people think she is your sister.

She might be twice your age (or more) and still manages to look just as young as you. She could still get away with being in high school, which is why she accompanies you to most of your school dances. She is just like “Stacey’s Mom” and will always have it going on. All of the cute boys at your school are way more interested in her than you. It doesn’t stop there though; all your male teachers want to date her too. She can’t even buy a bottle of wine at the supermarket or order a margarita at dinner without getting carded. She is the older sister you always wanted and you do everything with her. She is not only your best friend, but your friends’ best friend, too. Saying she is a “cool mom” is an understatement because no one else is a better mom than her.

6. She has better clothes than you do.

You may think you have the most current and trendiest clothes in your closet, but you thought wrong. Your mom’s closet is and always will be better than yours no matter how hard you try to keep up. You would rather shop in her closet than any department store. Even on laundry days, she can rock a pink tie dye t-shirt with daisy dukes and cowboy boots and still look better than you could ever dream of looking. There is a reason you are both the same size; so you can steal all her stuff, duh. You still haven’t given her back that one pair of jeans that she insists aren’t your size because you just want your butt to look as good as hers does in them. She is your number one go-to for fashion advice and assembles every outfit you wear on dates and to parties. Yes, that means I did not come up with this on my own. You can stare into your closet for hours and come up with nothing but she looks at it for mere seconds and finds the best outfit you never even knew you had. She will always be more of a shopaholic than you and even when you are both poor you will go to the mall just to window shop, even when it kills you.

7. She is the best study partner, ever.

Worried about a test? Look no further than your mother. She will make sure you have the information nailed, every time. If you plan on pulling an all-nighter, she will stay up with you and provide sustenance. She is already the smartest woman you know so you never understand why she does this. Even on the nights when you both fall asleep on piles of books at the kitchen table, she will make sure you have a blanket to keep you warm. If you end up oversleeping and missing your test, you better believe she will be in the Dean’s office negotiating a make-up day in her pajamas.

8. You wish you were as adventurous as her.

She was always the mom that would take you and all your friends to toilet paper houses in the middle of the night. “Frienemies,” enemies and boys with cooties were always the first target. Road trips are impossible without her because your eight-hour playlist is just never the same as hers. She never forgets the best throwback hits including Britney, Bon Jovi and Justin Timberlake. She introduced you to all the road trip games and even when you aren’t on a road trip you still play them. Camping and fishing are no problem for her, even though she has never done either. She rocks flannels and fishing poles better than anyone you know and looks fabulous without a shower. You want to go backpacking through Europe for the whole summer? She will have read three books on it, scheduled two round-trip flights and bought everything you could possibly shove into a backpack in less than twenty-four hours. Apprehension, never. She is the bravest and most daring human you have ever met.

9. You never want to go on a date without her.

Dating can be scary, but not with her by your side. There is no such thing as “third-wheeling” when she accompanies you on a date. She manages to say everything you should be saying and makes you sound awesome while doing it. Most of the time you can only manage senseless blabber combined with statistics on “urine mints” (the mints at the front of restaurants that people grab when didn’t wash their hands in the bathroom). Even when she can’t make it to one of your dates, she is the first person on your speed dial so you can call and gossip to her while your date is using the bathroom. You are a huge fan of double dates because dates are more fun when you have your best friend (your mom) there with you. And if all else fails, she can always pull out the bop-it to get rid of any awkward tension.

10. She is the only therapist you will ever need.

Got boy problems? She is the best advice-giver. All of your boyfriends love her but know if they break your heart, she will come after them. Your mom is always there to wallow with you after a break-up. She will make sure to stock up on gallon-sized Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream, old-fashioned movies and matching pajamas. The first time you got throw-up drunk off of Founder’s Day Punch, she was there to hold your hair back, sleep on the bathroom floor with you and then wake you up with the best hangover food ever, tacos and burritos. If your friends are having trouble with their mothers, your house is always the first that they run to, because let’s face it, your mom always knows what to say.