11 Ways To Save Money As A College Student

Now you can finally save up for those Sunday brunches and music festivals.

134
Jessica Ma

College is a time to rebrand, a time to have fun, and a time to do whatever you want with nothing to stop you. Except for money, that is. Every college student I know seems to be broke or have been broke at some point in their college life, and it’s hard to enjoy life with $1.24 total in your bank account. To help fill up that bank account again, here are 11 simple ways you can save up for those Sunday brunches and music festivals.

1. Cook your own meals

By cooking your own meals, I don’t mean instant ramen and pasta every day. Some delicious dishes that you would usually eat at restaurants are actually not very hard to recreate, and you can save a ton of money by making it yourself. By making your own food, you can cut down food costs by half every month. This will also result in fewer trips to pricey restaurants around town, saving you even more money.

2. Take public transportation

As appealing as it is to take Uber or Lyft everywhere, those transportation costs can quickly add up. Public transportation like the metro or bus are a fraction of the cost and lets you explore the area you live in even more. Five short Uber rides can add up to $50, yet five metro trips in Los Angeles will cost less than $10, saving you $40 that you can then use on other indulgences, like organic groceries or an extra restaurant trip.

3. Attend campus hosted events

It seems like colleges host so many events that no one ever goes to, but these events give out an extraordinary amount of free things. From free yogurt to notepads to kombucha, you can often walk away from these events with quality foods that are usually too expensive for you to justify buying in place of cheaper options. These events can help save grocery costs that you can then put towards your next vacation.

4. Buy things on sale

Whether it’s clothing, furniture, or electronics, try to buy things on sale. Not just any sale will do - don’t spend your money on a 10% discount if you could wait 2 weeks and get a 50% discount with free shipping. For clothing, buy winter clothes in the summer, and vice versa, because that’s usually when those clothes are the cheapest and going out of season.

5. Eat on campus

With so many food options off campus, it’s tempting to eat out every night. But if you’re an underclassman, remember that you have dining dollars or dining swipes that you must use up. Take full advantage of those swipes and dollars and eat on campus, as unappealing as that sounds. Reducing your spending on every day meals allows you to eat at a nicer place every once in a while.

6. Get a part time job

The perks of college is that you can create your own schedule based on your own time preferences. By clearing out blocks of free time in your weekday schedule, you can get a part time job to support that luxurious way of living that you aspire to have. Just 8-10 hours a week will add at least $80 to your account each week. Not shabby at all.

7. Cut back on the Starbucks

For all you coffee lovers out there - instead of spending $5 on a coffee every day at Starbucks, invest in a cheap coffee maker. Not only will you save money, you can also cut back on the calories without that thick layer of cream that Starbucks lathers on its coffee drinks.

8. Cut back on drinks and desserts

Coffee isn’t the only food that you can cut back on to save money and calories. Instead of drinking soda, drink water. It’s free, healthy, and will actually hydrate you. Instead of that box Sour Patch gummies, eat watermelon or some other sweet fruit. Compared to artificial fruit flavoring, real fruit is much healthier.

9. Rent your textbooks

Every college student knows how atrociously expensive textbooks can be, and how atrociously hard it is to resell these books at a good price. Next semester, skip the line at the university bookstore and just rent it for as low as 10% of the selling price on Amazon. Not only is the return process free and easy, you also don’t have to worry about breaking bank just to pass a class.

10. Share with your roommates

Household supplies can take up a lot of space and also be pretty pricey. College dorms don’t have space, and college students are broke. Talk with your roommates about sharing pots and pans and soap so that instead of filled counters and empty bank accounts, you have empty counters and filled bank accounts.

11. Conserve energy

Not only will you be saving the earth, you’ll also be saving your wallet. Utility bills can really add up when you’re keeping every light on and running water while doing dishes. Save that money by turning off the lights whenever you leave the room and turning off the faucet when washing dishes.