11 Ways To Read More Books In 2018, Even If You Don't Have Time

Don't let your busy schedule stop you from reaching your reading goals.

188
Unsplash

January is a time for setting goals and challenging yourself. Some of us nerdier individuals see the new year as a time to pledge to read more books than we did in the previous year, even though our planners are so full we're forced to write in the margins.

So how can we allocate more time to reading? It turns out there are some easy ways to complete your looming Goodreads Challenge without stress, even with a considerably busy schedule.

1. Cut back on social media.

Perhaps I started this list with the most difficult way to devote more time to reading, but I think it is an essential one. There's no denying that social media serves as a distraction during most of our daily activities; the bing of a notification can send us into a scrolling and "liking" frenzy. Limiting social media activity, even by a mere few minutes each day, can free up time for reading.

2. Opt for audiobooks.

Being able to read while driving, working out or folding laundry is one of the easiest ways to optimize reading productivity. Make sure to have an audiobook or two on your phone or in your car to best utilize the moments you spend on-the-go.

3. Set realistic goals.

If you're a slow reader, don't attempt to read "War and Peace" in one afternoon. Instead, choose a small goal of "xx" amount of pages each day. If you find yourself facing a busy week, adjust your goals accordingly to avoid unnecessary stress.

4. Keep your TBR shelf in check.

I am guilty of not following this advice, but knowing exactly what books you want to read and what order you want to read them in is a huge help. Don't forget to weed your TBR shelf from time to time to make sure only books you want to read are occupying space on your To-Be-Read list.

5. If you don't feel like reading, don't.

This is pretty self-explanatory, but forcing yourself to read when you're simply not in the mood for it can put you in a reading slump or make your current read feel stagnant or boring.

6. Pick up shorter reads.

There's nothing like a short book that leaves a huge impact (I'm thinking of Orwell's classic, "Animal Farm"). Reading shorter books can also give you a sense of efficiency and an opportunity to check another book off your list without taking too much of your time.

7. Try out a graphic novel or manga series.

This is totally not cheating! Graphic novels and manga contain carefully crafted stories along with fantastic artwork and deserve to be counted toward your reading goal. You might even find your next favorite story in a comic or manga series.

8. Cut back on binge-watching.

Netflix and Hulu are there for us in our darkest times, and we like to show them our appreciation by devoting entire Sundays (for some of us, our only free day of the week) with our eyes glued to their latest shows.

Books, however, can offer us stories that are just as entertaining. Instead of watching three whole seasons of "Black Mirror" in a day (guilty), try one season and then pick up a suspenseful sci-fi thriller to complement your mood.

9. Don't read when you're hungry.

This sounds trivial, but it's much harder to focus on pages full of words with an empty stomach or a parched throat. Grab a snack and a drink (preferably a cozy one in the winter months) before settling down in a comfy reading spot so as to not get distracted by your body's needs.

10. Avoid reading in bed.

Although it sounds outrageous, some sleep experts claim that reading in bed can have a negative effect on your sleep. A particularly stimulating read can wind you up instead of down, so it's best to keep reading in bed to a minimum so that you can wake with a fresh mind, ready to tackle another day's worth of reading.

11. Remember that reading is fun.

Unless reading is your paying job (in which case, I am super jealous), there is no need to treat it as another banal task on your to-do list. If you treat it as a chore, it will become one.

Reading is a time of relaxation when you can detach from the stresses of reality and enter into someone else's head for a while. Seeing it this way will make you want to prioritize reading in your life, and hopefully, this way you can reach your reading goal without treating the process like a homework assignment.