7 Ways To Prepare For Spring And Beat The Winter Woes

Spring Has Sprung! Here Are 7 Things To Do To Kick The Winter Woes!

Re-Organize Your Closet!

79
Juan Mendez

Do these:

Re-Organize Your Closet!

Photo by Artem Bali

This might seem obvious, but it can work wonders for a peaceful mind, and a peaceful dresser! Recently I started using Marie Kondo's konmari method to organize my clothing. It might seem tedious at first, but her folding methods and organization techniques make a huge difference. Start by putting all your clothes in one spot, then going through them and deciding which ones "spark joy" and which ones do not. Only keep the ones that truly spark joy. After deciding which ones to keep and which ones to donate, use her folding and organization method to put everything back. Something as small as clothing can have a big impact on your mental clarity. Waking up in the morning to a well-organized closet and no wrinkles in your clothes start off the day on a positive note!

Bonus resolution: Start putting your laundry away directly after washing it! You might be exhausted, it might be late at night, but putting away your laundry immediately after washing it lifts a huge weight off your chest and makes getting dressed in the morning 10x easier

Start Using A Planner

Photo by Plush Design Studio

Life gets busy, messy, and everything happens so much all the time. I've found that taking a second at the beginning of the week to write down my assignments, plans, schedule, and to do lists really helps me approach the week much calmer. Assignments don't creep up without me noticing as much, and things are much easier to plan when I know exactly what I'll be up to throughout the week. I'm not saying you have to schedule out every hour of your day, but planning out at least the big parts of your week can really help lead to much more mental clarity and help you finish off the semester strong! Go to the bookstore and grab a $10 planner, or put your schedule into google calendar and go wild with it!

Get Outside More

Photo by Rawpixel.com

This one may be cliche, but it's certainly not overrated. The weather is finally nice again, time to enjoy it! Aim to spend at least 10 minutes in the sun every day and you'll find yourself in a better mood. Take the long way to class in the morning, explore the woods behind your dorm, or do your work on the quad instead of on the fourth floor of the library today. We need our vitamin D more than you might think, and incorporating a little sun into your everyday life will not only leave you with a beautiful summer glow, it will also boost your mood and your morale.

Expand Your Diet

Photo by Rawpixel.com

Spring has sprung and so have all the fruits and veggies again! During winter we're used to indulging in comfort foods, but your body is craving veggies and now is the time to give them to her! Incorporate more fresh fruits and vegetables into your diet while they're in high supply. Doing so not only gets you important vitamins and nutrients vital for your health, but it can also help you feel better mentally. Adding color, crunch, and flavor to your food through nature's bounty leaves you feeling satisfied and happy after every meal. If you eat at the dining hall, try to check out the salad bar and see what fresh veggies are available. If you cook from home, try visiting the local farmer's market to grab some fresh produce!

Expand Your Wardrobe Too

Photo by Godisable Jacob

Spring is the time to experiment! It's the perfect weather to wear whatever you want and show it off without fear of being too hot or too cold! You don't have to buy all new clothes, but try switching things up and making combinations you never thought of before! Try to wear a nice outfit at least three days out of the week, and leave the sweatshirt and leggings for the weekend! I use Instagram fashion pages for outfit inspiration and recreate them with the clothing I already have. If you're looking to update your wardrobe, try hitting your local savers or goodwill first to find cheap finds and good quality clothing before shelling out money on fast fashion. Once you start looking good, you'll start feeling good! Even on a bad day, a good outfit can make you feel ready to take on the world!

Take Up A Physical Activity

Photo by JESHOOTS

There's no better way to shake away the seasonal depression than through sweating it out! The weather is beautiful and there's no better time to get moving. Hiking, biking, yoga, swimming, running, and going the gym are all great ways to get your endorphins pumping while still enjoying the weather. Getting your blood pumping 2-3x a week can vastly improve your mood, help you sleep better, make you ready to take on the day, and have more energy to do what needs to be done. No need to be strict on yourself, as long as you get your heart pumping your body will thank you! Try bringing some friends on a hiking trail or plan a gym date to make you even more excited for it!

Spend more time with yourself!

Photo by Daria Shevtsova

Learn that it's okay to be alone. Learning to be alone with yourself and be happy is one of the most important steps in self-love and growth. Don't go out of your way to cancel plans or isolate yourself, but if you find yourself without anyone to hang out with or anything to do, take that time and use it to spend time with yourself. Focus on you and be alone with your thoughts. Take yourself on dates. Want to see a movie? Go see it, you don't need to bring anyone. Take yourself out to dinner, or on a walk in the park. Learn that being alone does not necessarily mean you have to be lonely and become comfortable with taking time to reflect on yourself. Self-reflection is vital for growth and can help you become a stronger and better person.