What Is Depression?

What Is Depression?

What are ways that can help you overcome it?

51
What Is Depression?
greatist

Be mindful, breathe.

You’ve been in bed all day long, sometimes even for weeks. You don’t even want to come out of your room or see your friends. Even when you do see your friends, you seem to just always space out easily and act like you are listening to them when you probably aren’t. The way you are feeling is mushy and very empty, your mind seems to be lost deep inside all your thoughts. It feels like you can’t help it, but to just stay in a dark room where everything finally appears to be peaceful.

You start acting like you don’t need anyone so you cut off all the ones close to you. Well, now you think that this can make you feel more relaxed and perhaps calm, but deep inside you are lying to yourself. Truth is, you are hurting, hurting really bad to the point where you get stuck between words, your head starts to pound making you get more frustrated at many things in your life.

It’s difficult for you to understand things and make the right decisions for yourself, the only thing you do is take an action without really thinking about it. This all might be happening to you because it’s called “Depression.” Depression is a mental disorder that affects your day to day lifestyle. It causes you to lose focus on a lot of things, such as your favorite activities or your social life with friends and family.

According to the National Institute of Mental Health, some of the many symptoms of depression can be include fatigue and decreased energy, feelings of hopelessness, insomnia, and persistent aches or pains. Although depression can’t just go away easily, you can still do things to help you cope with it. Here are some 4 ways to reduce and overcome your depression.

1. Learn how to be mindful.

Every little thing that you consider negative or not worthy in your life, accept it. Author William Marchand says that, through mindfulness, individuals start to see their thoughts as less powerful. The distorted thoughts – such as “I always make mistakes” or “I’m a horrible person” – start to hold less weight. Your mind needs to relax, take deep breaths, meditate and release the inner you and take in all the good and positivity. Be aware, you are the one controlling your thoughts.

2. Stop talking the negative.

Even though negative talks are generally occurred by depressed people, always remind yourself that it is unhealthy. Negative thoughts can only bring you down and make you feel more worthless, no? The thoughts and talks you might have with yourself about negative things can be the opposite. These are just assumptions that you are having, your mind is telling you what to say and how to picture it, but in reality, it doesn’t have to be that way. Remember like I mentioned earlier, you are the one that is able to control what you want to think about and what thoughts you decide to have. Talk about the positive, remind yourself that there is good as well, there always is.

3. Listen to upbeat music.

Hyper, energetic, and groovy music can help you kind of get out your bubble. A Psychologist/CBT Therapist Mandy Kloppers, states that an upbeat tune can change an atmosphere instantly and create a more positive vibe. So why is that? Well, if you really think about it, this upbeat music can get you going, all the words are positive words and if you noticed, most of them can even relate to you in a way. You are always probably listening to slow and sad songs, so why not switch it up. This time you might even be off your feet and dancing around your room. The song itself can even change your mood and make you feel better, it’s worth the try.

4. Try to forgive.

Whatever caused your pain, learn how to forgive. I know no one wants to forgive the ones who caused them to feel this way, but what is being angry all the time getting you? While the other person is going on with their life, minding his or her own business, you are sitting here crying and being angry not only at yourself but at them too. Try to forgive, because, at the end of the day, you are the only one holding yourself back from doing what you really want to do. The one who caused you the pain is the one who loves seeing you down because it just gives them more power and satisfaction. If you can show that you are fine and you forgive them, then they may feel that what they did wasn’t enough. That clearly doesn’t mean that they will do something back, but it just means that you finally took something that caused you pain and suffering, and turned it into something good. Forgiveness is one of the ways to ease your mind, it brings you relief and changes the way you think into something positive.

Depression may not be treated easily, but there are other ways to overcome it. The only way that can happen is if you want to change your life into something better. It comes to a point where you are the one who decides what you want to do and what you think will benefit you in the long run. Change can be good, as long as you know what it is.

"A positive attitude gives you power over your circumstances instead of your circumstances having power over you." — Joyce Meyer