4 Ways To Make The Internet A Better Place, Starting Today
Technology

4 Ways You Can Make The Internet A More Positive Place Right Now

The internet has the potential to be a goldmine of positivity and change; we just need to make sure we use it the right way.

168
https://pxhere.com/en/photo/1271156

The internet is quite amazing. You get access to your favorite songs, movies, shows and more with just a click of a button. You're able to reconnect with old friends you haven't spoken to in a while, and you have the opportunity to form friendships with people who live miles away.

But, just like almost everything in this world, the internet has its downsides. Instead of using the internet to spread love and positivity, many use it as a way to spread hateful comments.

A lot of times, we get consumed by the negativity and view the internet as a toxic platform. However, it is important that we strive to make the internet a more positive place. That is why I am challenging you to make the internet more fun, peaceful, positive and loving. Here are some ways you can get started.

1. Use your social media platforms to spread words of encouragement.

Whether you are on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tumblr, you are the one who decides what to post on your page. It doesn't matter if you have two followers or 2,000, you should always use your platform to create uplifting posts.

For instance, on Twitter, you can tweet an encouraging quote that motivates you to get out of your bed and take on the world; it may help others to do the same. On Instagram, you can post cute and inspirational comics, such as Chibird; you never know how much someone needs to see a sign of encouragement.

You are in control of what you put out in this world. Use your voice to spread light and love.

2. Don't engage in the negativity.

Some people love drama; they feed off of it. Here's my tip: Don't engage in it.

There are people who enjoy starting internet fights during their free time, while others do less problematic things. If you see negativity on your feed, just ignore it.

I should also mention that you should not make fun of others. There have been so many times that I've come across viral tweets that are straight up mean when browsing through my timeline on Twitter. Don't retweet or like a tweet that oppresses someone. Bringing someone down to get a laugh is not the route to go.

Be better than that and stray away from any malicious actions on the internet.

3. Throw those compliments around like confetti.

Another thing we all love to do on social media is post selfies of our beautiful faces. When you come across someone's selfie or any other picture of them, try to genuinely compliment them. If you think they look beautiful, tell them! If you fell in love with their outfit, tell them! If their smile is contagious, tell them!

Selfies aren't the only way you can compliment someone. If you admire someone's posts, or even just their personality, let them know. The right compliments are bound to make someone smile.

4. Spread awareness about different causes.

Use your space on the internet to give important causes an even bigger platform. Share links to your favorite causes and encourage others to support them. Websites such as GlobalGiving are enriched with a variety of causes that need all the support they can get.

Use your voice to help them out. Not only will it help those in need, but it can inspire someone to do a good deed.

Use your platform to make a positive change in the world. The amount of followers you have does not matter because, in the end, if you can impact at least one life, nothing else matters. Go out there and be kind.