Social Media Addiction

Gadgets Are Drugs, We Are All Addicts

Look, you are reading my post right now.

64
Girl

It is like a worldwide epidemic, the only difference, we don't want to be cured, we want more.

We all live in a great communicating society. I believe there are only a few people left in the world that are not connected to a worldwide information web. We all use it at some point whether for chatting through social media or reading news from any newspaper websites.

We are always interacting with each other. Just think about it, how often do you stay at any place alone, with no gadgets around you — with no TV, laptops, phones? I believe never. There is always something by your side full of new messages or new information ready to be shared with you.

It is so hard for me to concentrate on something if my phone is not around me. I get anxious and it becomes almost impossible to focus on urgent things that I need to do. Sometimes I would scroll down the feed without even paying attention to it. I just feel that I need to make this motion, without knowing why.

This is actually crazy. I don't want to be having heart attacks every time I don't feel my phone in the pocket. When I started going to college, I realized I can't leave my house without having a laptop in my bag. Even the days I don't have classes and I know I won't need it, it just has to be somewhere by my side.

Gadgets are drugs, and I believe the most severe ones since no one has been cured yet. It is like a worldwide epidemic, the only difference being we don't want to be cured, we want more, more new technologies and sources. Our brains get so much information from so many sources every day, but useless information most of the time. I'm surprised they have not started exploding yet.

We are all addicted to constantly being online, having phones easy to reach, being able to respond to any messages within a second. Even checking the news on Facebook or posting pictures on Instagram is a way to share and get information from others. Reading people's posts, responding to them, writing comments, messages, sending snaps — all of this is a big part of a non-stop communication, which is happening among almost everyone nowadays.

Look, you are reading my post right now, which means you're on your phone/laptop, searching for new information for your brain. And I know that after this you are going to go to your Facebook/Instagram app and go through posts/pictures of other people that you don't even care about. (I'm not talking right now about that guy/girl whose profile you constantly update every second.)

You are stalking other people's lives and you like that. It's true, even if you don't like thinking about it that way. Those people are stalking your life, and they like it as well. It is not a bad or a good thing. It is just how life works now.