Ways to Beat the Mid-Semester Blues

Ways to Beat the Mid-Semester Blues

We're all in this together.

28
Ways to Beat the Mid-Semester Blues
Terri Williams

It is no secret that the middle of the semester can bring some quite stressful, crazy, and downright discouraging times. Between a slew of tests, projects, and extracurricular activities that all seem to convene around the couple of weeks that are deemed the mid-semester, college student stress increases proportionally. Here are some ways to beat the midterm blues that seem to plague practically every college student:

1. Reorganize. The middle of the semester is typically when your life starts to get a little messy. There are fewer better feelings than being completely organized in my humble opinion, and organizing your notes or desk will probably make you feel much better. There is just nothing worse than trying to study when you can’t make out your notes or have no room on your desk.

2. Actually study. This seems like kind of unnecessary advice. But it’s really not. There have been plenty of times when I or a friend have had a lot on our plate, and instead Netflix seems to take priority. This is completely typical of college students, but it shouldn’t happen as often as it should. Despite the stress, we have to remember that we are in school for an education that will be worth it in just a few short years and will probably end up shaping the rest of our lives. So if that’s not motivation then I don’t know what is.

3. Try to exercise and/or eat better. This one might be the most difficult to do in times of stress. It goes without saying that leading a healthier lifestyle automatically makes you feel better. It will also prevent you from getting sick as easily. And I think we all know that’s the last thing that we all need during the middle of the semester.

4. Call your parents or other family members. This may be the part of the semester when you just really want to be with family and forget about all your commitments, especially if you don’t have a fall break at your school. This is when a nice chat with mom or dad can really help. There is something super refreshing after hearing your parents say how proud they are of you after getting an “A” on that test you studied your butt off for. The folks definitely know how to make you feel good about yourself, and you’ll probably feel less stressed after getting a classic pep talk from them.

5. Do something out of the ordinary just for fun. You’re probably thinking, “Well that’s not going to help me finish the onslaught of projects, papers, and studying that I need to get done.” While this piece of advice may not help you accomplish any schoolwork per se, it is important to actually relieve stress by doing something fun with family or friends. Go to a pumpkin patch, enjoy a night out, or go on an adventure and discover a new place you never knew existed. This will probably help you more than you think.

One thing to remember: you will get through the semester, even when you look at your calendar and see assignments and tests every single day. And just remember, the stress and headaches will all be worth it someday.