7 Ways To Reduce Waste Besides Ditching Straws

Yes, straws suck, but so do a lot of things.

29
Pixabay.com

We've all seen the news about plastic straw bans around the country. Some may even have seen that sea turtle video that showed just how badly we're making the environment for other animals. Overall, while banning straws is a step in the right direction, there are so many things we can all do to reduce how much we waste. If you think it's hard, here are 7 simple things you can do to help go green.

1. Use Mason Jars For Snacks

Yes, plastic bags may be easy to buy and grab on the go, but they ultimately all end up in the trash. Mason jars are easy to store food in, easy to carry around, and can be washed out and reused.

2. Reusable Water Bottles

Buying reusable water bottles not only prevents plastic ones from cluttering up your room and landfills, but you also won't have to go out and keep buying bottles when you run out. It's really a win-win situation.

3. Recycle Your Receipts Or Just Get Them Emailed

When you buy anything you get a receipt for it. They're little papers that can turn quickly into clutter. But they are paper and can be recycled or better yet, some places offer to just email you the receipt instead so you don't even have to waste the paper.

4. Eat Out Less

Restaurants can be huge sources of waste, so by eating out less you'll be saving money while playing your part in saving the environment.

5. Bring Your Own Coffee Cup

If you're always grabbing coffee in the morning, consider just buying your own cup to fill instead of constantly throwing away the cup you're given. Places like Starbucks even sell cups in their shops so you don't have to go out of your way.

6. Don't Support Fast Fashion

Fast fashion, while affordable, is rapidly produced by mass-retailers. Because the goal is to keep up with current fashion trends there's a lot of turnover and fast fashion brands aren't exactly environmentally friendly when making garments.

7. Donate Clothing You Don't Wear Anymore

We also need to focus on what happens to our clothes after we're done wearing them. If you grow out of your clothes or notice you don't wear them much anymore, consider donating them or selling them to used clothing shops instead of just throwing them away.