Watching "Game Of Thrones" When You Already Know The Spoilers

Spoiler alert: spoilers are ruining my life.

23
HBO

Bored of Netflix and left without anything to do this summer, I finally got around to watching the most popular television show in the world, HBO’s “Game of Thrones.” Despite being six seasons late to the game, I was determined to jump on the bandwagon and see what all the fuss is about. Dragons and sword fighting? Sure. Why not?

However, as I began to watch the show, I realized how much I already knew about the story without ever having seen an episode. The problem with poplar shows like “Game of Thrones” is that whenever a major plot twist occurs, fans flock to Twitter and Facebook to share their immediate reactions. These Internet spoilers are simply unavoidable, and because of this, many viewers prefer to watch the show on “live time." That way, viewers don’t have to risk running into a spoiler before having watched the episode.

What’s interesting about living in the golden age of television is that we have technology like DVR that allows viewers the freedom of watching a show whenever they want, while other forms of technology like Facebook that forces viewers to watch the show the second it airs.

I admit, I do enjoy “Game of Thrones," but I can’t help but feel like the show’s popularity is based mostly on cliffhangers and character deaths. The unknown possibilities of what might happen on the show is what keeps fan coming back for more, but for viewers like myself, who already know what’s going to happen, the intrigue of the show is different. I’m currently binge watching the show so I can be caught up before the season six finale (right now I’m halfway through season two), but there are some unique benefits of knowing what will happen next.

Below are some of the plots twists I vaguely know are coming up in the show and my reaction to those twists. I could look up what actually will happen for the sake of not sounding wrong in this article, but where’s the fun in that? So, let’s get started.

The old guy from that "one does not simply" meme dies.

I think Ned Stark’s death was the first thing I ever heard about “Game of Thrones” because it was such a big deal that the main character was killed off before the season finale. Also, I think he started the man bun craze way back in 2011.

The blonde haired chick has dragons.

I’m so dumb; I thought Daenerys Targaryen’s name was Khaleesi until season two. (F.Y.I., “Khaleesi is a Dothraki title referring to the wife of the khal.” Thanks, "Game of Thrones" Wiki!) Also, I’m in love with her.

Everyone is constantly fighting over that chair made of swords.

Technically not a spoiler, but I swear, if they didn’t have the opening sequence explaining the map of all of the kingdoms, I would be incredibly lost. What I do know is that they film in four different locations: Antarctica, ancient Egypt, the other side of Scotland where “Outlander” isn’t being filmed, and Narnia.

The entire cast gets replaced after the Red Wedding.

My History professor actually spoiled this one for me because he said it was based on a real massacre, but as long as Ayra lives, I’ll be fine. I used to wince whenever a character was brutally killed on the show, but now, I don’t even bat an eye. Don’t get attached to anyone.

“You know nothing, Jon Snow.”

I think his girlfriend dies, but I haven’t met her yet. R.I.P., though.

Joffrey is poisoned.

Never, and I mean never, I have hated another character so much in my entire life. If I didn’t know that he was going to die, I would have probably stopped watching the show the second he became king.

Winter finally comes.

It better be coming for the amount of times they talk about it.

Jon Snow dies! JK, he’s alive!

You got me?

I apologize for the lack of funny gifs in this article. I was too afraid to Google “Game of Thrones” in case I ran into another spoiler. I may not always know what’s going on in the show, but I did buy a “Game of Thrones”-themed beer the other day, so you can say things are getting pretty serious.