15 Reasons You Need To Watch 'Voltron' Right Now

Buckle the heck up.

659

Stop what you are doing right now and watch Voltron.

Immediately drop everything and watch this show. I mean, the first season does have a 100% critics' rating on Rotten Tomatoes. But do you need a little more persuasion? Check out these 15 reasons why you should be making "Voltron" your new priority:

1. Space Lions

What more could you ask for when you are given massive magical robotic space warrior lions? Clearly this show is for you.

2. It's The New "Avatar: the Last Airbender"

Anyone who has ever seen "Avatar: the Last Airbender" knows that it is the "Harry Potter" of American animated series. Joaquim Dos Santos, Tim Hendrick, Joshua Hamilton, and May Chan are all well known writers and directors of "Avatar: the Last Airbender." They also happen to currently contribute their genius toward the production of "Voltron: Legendary Defender." Dee Bradley Baker and Mae Whitman also appear in both animated series. The cast is crammed with amazing voice actors from our childhoods.

3. You Are Literally One of the Characters

The show, in its essence, is not revolutionary or completely original. It is a reboot after all. "Voltron: Legendary Defender" is a reboot of the many Voltron projects of the 1980s and 2000s. Those concepts were originally taken from a Japanese animation called "Beast King GoLion." The characters adhere to certain time tested tropes, and you’ll be saying, that’s me, every ten seconds. I can pair each character with one of my best friends.

4. Pidge

Pidge is the paladin of the Green Lion, and the smartest person on the ship. He's always tinkering with alien space tech or forging connections with space creatures, and he's always ready for an adventure.

5. Hunk

Hunk is the paladin of the Yellow Lion. He's kindhearted, loves to cook, and his constant worrying is both endearing and funny. He’s definitely a Hufflepuff.

6. Lance

Lance is the paladin of the Blue Lion and the Sokka of the group. He's flirty, witty, and always cracking jokes. He also has a surprising amount of depth, and is a capable fighter from the get-go.

7. Keith

Keith is the paladin of the Red Lion and essentially Zuko. He’s mood and brooding, but also smart and quick-witted. He is pretty guarded, and his character development is slow and steady.

8. Shiro

Shiro is the paladin of the Black Lion and the leader of the group. He is also the dad of the group, being the oldest and having the most experience with the evils of the Galra empire... except for Allura.

9. Princess Allura and Coran

Allura is the strong female icon of the series. She is the princess of a dead planet fighting to defeat the Galra Warlord, Zarkon. She has magic powers and an incredibly sharp mind. Coran is her trusty protector, although more frequently she protects him. He also serves as a father figure, embarrassing and silly, yet still knowledgeable and kind.

10. The Villains: Zarkon, Haggar, Lotor, oh my!

Zarkon is your generic terrifying space warlord. Your Emperor Palpatine, if you will. Haggar, on the other hand, is Darth Vader. She gives me Hama vibes: the creepy woman from that one blood-bending episode of "Avatar: the Last Airbender." Lotor should have his name be spelled as LOTR, because he essentially Lee Pace as Thranduil in "The Hobbit", and much more cunning than the other Galra leaders.

11. Shay

The universe if full of aliens, so we are granted the opportunity to explore some alien cultures in the show. We learn how Shay and her people communicate with their planet and live in harmony. The creators of "Voltron" take the time to give each alien race a unique culture, with different priorities, challenges, and social structures.

12. Sci-Fi and Spaceships

With the precedent that "Avatar: the Last Airbender" set for American animated series, it is rare to see so much involvement with space and science. It is also great to explore the depths of space without the seriousness of Star Wars, while still maintaining the exciting action, adventure, and friendship. "Voltron" even has the hallmark cheesy transformation graphics that I look for in nostalgic animation.

13. Speaking of Ships: LGBT representation

This show is super gay. Now in the show’s cannon, there are few official relationships. But Tumblr has taken hold of these characters, and I gotta say, their pairings are pretty accurate.

14. An Emotional Rollercoaster

This show is very fast paced, since by the first episode we are in the middle of battles with mystery and magic around every corner. You are thrown into the world head first, and it is very easy to fall in love with all the characters. Between plot twists and shocking discoveries, there is never a dull moment. "Voltron" does follow a lot of tropes, but everything is deepened and personalized, making it all seem original. It is a wildly perfect concoction of Power Rangers, Green Lantern, Superman, and every other show I loved as a kid.

15. The Fourth Season is Coming Out on Netflix on Friday the 13th

You can binge all the episode on Netflix. As of now, before the fourth season has dropped, 33 episodes are available. Netflix has committed to 78 episode, so we are in for one wild ride.