DISCLAIMER: I am not by any means criticizing the people involved in the opposing arguments, nor am I labeling this show as a show that can be viewed by all ages.
As many of you may or may not know, Fox released a hugely controversial show, "Lucifer," on January 25, 2016. This show follows the life of the Lucifer, the angel was cast out of Heaven and condemned to rule Hell for all eternity. Until he decided to take a vacation to Los Angeles. The following is the show's synopsis: Lucifer Morningstar, "who is bored and unhappy as the Lord of Hell and resigns his throne and abandons his kingdom for the beauty of Los Angeles, where he gets his kicks helping the LAPD punish criminals". Lucifer runs a piano bar in Los Angeles called "Lux," with the assistance of his demonic ally Mazikeen.
Lucifer is another name for the devil along with: the Fallen Angel, Beezlebub, and the Father of Lies. Yet, in the show, Lucifer slowly becomes human as he brings a mortal back from dying, brings justice to those who are guilty, and protects those who aren't.
A group called "One Million Moms" has recently released a petition to get Lucifer "off of the air and out of homes." They believe that this show is glorifying Satan as a caring person who can be likable in the human flesh." They have problems with the fact that there is violence, a nightclub, and a demon in the first episode. Beginning and End is another group who protests the show. They claim that it is making fun of the Bible and are bringing people into Satanic Deception.
Let's take a deeper look into their arguments.
"Lucifer Morningstar is portrayed by an attractive young male with a lot of money and a nice car. This is tempting people to like him instead of believe that he is the terrible person of the Bible."
- The devil (Lucifer) is all about tempting the human race in order to bring out the bad in them. The devil believes in punishment, torture, and evil. Think about this guys, if the Devil is walking among us, which would be more tempting: a scruffy male with a beat up car or an attractive man who has a lot of money, nice cars, and a nice outward appearance.
"Young children who don't deeply understand the Bible and who Satan really is will be tempted to follow and worship Satan instead of our Lord and Savior Jesus."
- OK, pause. First of all, why on earth are people letting their "young children" watch a show like this? Even if you take the fact that it is all about the Devil out of it, there is still drugs, blood, and dance clubs (The mature rating is not just because of the inclusion of Satan).
"The show makes fun of the Bible and the people who believe in Christ."
- The only references to the Bible are the words that are portrayed at the beginning of the episode and the fact that in the show Lucifer is tired of listening to his Father (referring to God). Let's be honest. The Devil is a terrible, nasty, and awful thing, but is crude sarcasm really an inaccurate description of how he would feel if you had to turn him into a more mortal state?
"This show is meant for Satanic worshipers only."
- Actually, there is a huge complaint coming from the Satanic worshipers also. You see, people, including myself, love God because He is wonderful, powerful, loving, and He saved us from a terrible fate. People who love Satan love him because he is evil, terrible, cruel, and nasty to the human race. In the show, he is compassionate and just. They hate that just as much as Christians hate a show about the Devil.
"This show will make people see the Devil as good, kind, and caring of the human race. After all, in the show, he does try to save humans"
- This frustrates me! If you really are a full-in believer in Christ, one simple fiction show should not persuade your views on the devil himself. Honestly, the one thing that I hear almost as much as Jesus dying on the cross for our sins to be forgiven is that the Devil is evil, hateful, and wants all of human race to give into their bad temptations so that they can have a fiery eternal Hell full of pain and torture. I'm just saying that watching Lucifer is not going to make me think that maybe the Devil wants to be my friend.
So in conclusion:
"Lucifer" is definitely not a show for kids. There is gore, crude humor, and some mildly inappropriate scenes within the episodes. Lucifer is also not a show that should be banned because of its content. If people don't go around seeing Matthew McConaughey as a killer because he was in a movie where he portrayed a murderer, then people shouldn't change their mind on who the Devil is based off of a fictional TV series where Lucifer is portrayed as kind and just.
I love God, I am forever grateful that He sent His one and only son to die on the cross to forgive my sins. I believe that He is my Heavenly Father. I continue to worship the Lord with my thoughts and actions every single day and nothing, not even a show about a "nice Devil" will change that.