Reasons to watch MLS Soccer
Politics

4 Reasons to Watch MLS Soccer

Fall in love with America's fastest growing league

176
4 Reasons to Watch MLS Soccer
@alexaarant Instagram

Soccer is quickly growing in popularity in the United States, with every World Cup and every new release of the popular FIFA video game only serving to bolster it. MLS is quickly and rapidly growing, with many teams beating out attendance averages over their local baseball teams. From Orlando to Seattle, MLS only has room to grow here stateside, but it encounters a few challenges. There are many naysayers who despite living in the United States, still refuse to watch their local teams for a variety of reasons. But despite these, there are many reasons to watch MLS.

1. The Experience

No matter where it is, soccer always has the ability to attract fanatic fans, these fans tend to find other like-minded fans and form supporters groups, otherwise known as Ultras, who come to every home game, travel to a lot of the away games, and yell loudly and proudly for their teams, far and above what the average fans do. These Ultras typically have their own chats that they do during the games. These chants provide both a lift for the fans and a lift for the players out on the field. A great example of these is done by the El Matador supporters group at FC Dallas games. Although hard to hear in the video, El Matador's FC Dallas chant reverberates around the stadium, its something truly special.

2. The Quality

A common argument posed by stateside soccer fans is that the MLS does not have any quality. This is simply not the case. The people who say such outlandish statements have likely never even seen an MLS match and are just making a wild assumption. Such people who are only fans of the European leagues and do not like the MLS because of its supposed "lack of quality" are called Eurosnobs.

Here is just a small sample of the quality found in MLS.

3. The Accessibility

For obvious time-zone reasons, It is difficult for many people to watch European leagues, especially if you live on the west coast, where the early morning English Premier League games start at 4 AM. Even at that, just because it might be 2 top teams facing off against each other, it is not guaranteed to be a good game. From personal experience, last year I woke up at 6 AM to watch league giants Manchester United and Liverpool face off. The Manchester United manager, Jose Mourinho, decided to not try to win the game, instead opting to play incredibly defensively and only go for a tie. The game ended 0-0 and I will not get those 2 hours of sleep back, how sad. But in MLS, when big teams play, there are almost always guaranteed goals, for example, the 4th of July game between the Western and Eastern Conference leaders, FC Dallas and Atlanta United, was an incredible nail-biter which finished 3-2 in favor of Dallas, who scored 2 goals in the last few minutes of the game to seal a wild comeback. This game started at 7 PM CT, so no one would have had to have gone out of their way to set an early alarm on a day off just to watch it. Another example of early games being less accessible than MLS games comes on a warm October morning when Manchester United was playing Tottenham Hotspur very early in the morning. I woke up and watched the first half on my phone, then fell asleep during halftime and woke up just as the game ended, still holding my phone. I missed the entire second half of an exciting game because I fell back asleep.

4. The Excitement

MLS is called boring. Factually, that is incorrect, as MLS lead all European leagues in Average Goals per Game by nearly a full goal.

Here is a quick recap of the aforementioned FC Dallas comeback win,

So give MLS a shot, its just so much easier and more exciting than you expect and who knows, you might just fall in love with a team.