'Blackkklansman': Why Every American Needs to See It
Film

The newest Spike Lee joint tells the true story about a black detective in Colorado who infiltrated the Klu Klux Klan.

115

From influential filmmaker Spike Lee and produced by Jordan Peele, comes the wildly true story of Ron Stallworth. In the 1970s, Stallworth became the first Black detective to serve in the Colorado Springs Police Department. The young, eager detective desires to make a name for himself and does so by infiltrating and exposing the Ku Klux Klan in the town. The movie is wildly entertaining, packed with sharp political commentary from Lee but the movie comes at a time where it is needed.

While spoilers will not be revealed in this article, four reasons will be made as to why everyone, no matter the race needs to run to the nearest movie theater and see this.

This Really Did Happen

n 1978, Ron Stallworth really did infiltrate the KKK in Colorado Springs and really did have a membership with them. Stallworth also published a book earlier this summer with the same title as the movie about his experience on the force and how he managed to infiltrate the KKK, get a membership certificate signed by the Grand Wizard (National Director) David Duke and balance his blackness with being a police officer during a tense time. While Stallworth did move to Utah after this case ended to not cause such an uproar after this story became public the officer behind it all, began to speak publicly about his acts and what he had to do vocally to get into the KKK.

The Political and Social Commentary

Throughout the movie are sprinkled bits of sharp commentary about the political climate of America. In certain scenes, you may hear a line that sounds all too familiar. "We're going to make this country great again." "Those people are bad people, they are rapists, murders, killers, etc." Sound familiar? Lee pulled from speeches made by Trump, Pence and more to help mold the scripts for the KKK members showing that time hasn't really evolved.

Not only does Lee do this but also we look into Stallworth's battle with being a Black cop during such a turbulent time in America. In one of the scenes, Stallworth stated that he's fluent in "jive" and "the King's English" referring to an act called "Code Switching" something many minorities do while in a public space. Code Switching is a term used for those who are able to fluently move in between using slang, jive, African-American Vernacular (AAVE) and Standard English.

If You're Into 70s Fashion, Hair, and Culture

While this reason does not seem as intense as the others, the amount of Afro, leather jackets and bell bottom jeans were outstanding. If you are like me and really appreciate a good period piece with awesome fashion then you'll definitely enjoy this little benefit. While watching the movie, I found myself taking note of the different textures and styles many of the Black actors in the film had. The various heights and widths of Afros made me have a new found appreciation for my not-so-easy-to-manage coils.

Marci Rodgers, the costume designer, used real vintage pieces to style the actors according to a Variety interview with the actress, Laura Harrier, who plays Patrice, Stallworth's activist girlfriend. John David Washington (Stallworth) also prepared for his role by listening to music of the time and watching mostly Soul Train to really understand the jive feeling during 1978.

You Just Need To

Hear me out, while this reason does not really have much evidence to support it, it would be a disservice to yourself if you did not see "Blackkklansman." The story is powerful and the message behind it has not changed since 1978. Infiltrate hate. The last five minutes of the movie may make you cry but it will also make you think. After watching the movie, I sat there in disbelief realizing that this is what I was growing up in. That hate was more present than ever and that I needed to infiltrate it. While I am not as heroic as Ron Stallworth, arming myself with knowledge can go a long way.

This movie was needed and Spike Lee and Jordan Peele were the right people to bring it to our attention. While the movie may make some uncomfortable, this was necessary. This story was necessary. Movies like "Get Out," "Blackkklansman" and many others are necessary. The production is amazing and the story behind the production is even better. It's worth it. Trust me. You'll thank me later.