"I Wanna Be A Part Of It ..."

"I Wanna Be A Part Of It ..."

"New York. New York." *Cue the Sinatra*

159
"I Wanna Be A Part Of It ..."

I always seem to find myself writing about the fact that I grew up in a small town. The truth is, Auburn isn't really that small. It's a town with a university in the middle of it, that has a booming local economy. I just always felt like it was small because anywhere you go, you will meet someone that you know. And because of that, I've always wanted to move somewhere bigger than myself.

As I entered my junior year of college, I became increasingly more aware of the fact that the job hunt was fast approaching. I began to think about where I wanted to be but knew that limiting myself to specific locations wouldn't be wise. Deep down, I knew where I wanted to be, but it was something that I never thought I could achieve.

Because I was a part of the Odyssey community at my school, I was already aware of the company culture, and knew that it was something I wanted to continue to be a part of in the future. All of the writers were told about an internship opportunity at the New York City headquarters for an Editorial Internship position.

I began the process much like I had done for other internships. I filled out the initial application and anxiously awaited any email, whether it would be good or bad news. One day I checked my inbox, and to my surprise there was an email from Odyssey regarding my application. It was good news. I had moved on to the next round of the process.

I had a phone interview. Then to my surprise, more good news. I scheduled my video interview on a Wednesday. It was early and I was nervous, so naturally I woke up hours before to prepare. I spoke to my mom and dad before I got on the video call, and couldn't seem to calm my nerves. My mom told me, "You need to calm down, or else you won't show them your true self. Then they won't be able to see how fit you are for this position." I remembered that as my mom, she is slightly low key required to say things like that, but in any case it was the confidence boost I needed.

Again, I anxiously awaited for any news whether it would be good or bad. Two days later, I received the most exciting news of my young adult life. I had been chosen for the internship. Two months later, and all of the arrangements have been made. I fly to New York City in exactly 11 days. As the days are drawing near, I am so nervous and excited and questioning so many things.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F05%2F01%2F635976759409248336-141371363_super-excited.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=633&h=b07d80e00eeba1bb8b048c2d75d0821c2b3ab3f371f968bb176339fa123bd1d4&size=980x&c=1821942099 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F05%252F01%252F635976759409248336-141371363_super-excited.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D633%26h%3Db07d80e00eeba1bb8b048c2d75d0821c2b3ab3f371f968bb176339fa123bd1d4%26size%3D980x%26c%3D1821942099%22%7D" expand=1]

I am wondering what people are going to think when I get up there and say, "Hey y'all I'm from Alabama." I am excited to meet 14 other bright and talented interns with passions similar to my own, but who come from different backgrounds. This one is a no brainer, but I am hoping I run into and become friends with Beyonce while she is on tour.

I wonder what my first day will be like. I wonder how long it will take for my mother to call me after she leaves ... although my best guess is that she won't even make it five seconds into her cab ride back to the airport. I am excited to be in a city that I love because it is a city I hope to make a life in someday. I don't know what I am going do without sweet tea for ten weeks, but I do know that working for this amazing company is 130 percent worth it. I cannot wait to see what is in store for me this summer as the adventure continues.

P.S. NYC just got its first Chick-fil-A, so in the strange case that I do start to miss the South, I'll never be that far away from home ... or the sweet tea.