But What Is It To Walk Humbly, Love Mercy, And Act Justly?

It is a lifestyle, a change of heart.

1052
YouTube

I grew up going to church my entire life because my parents sought to provide a household where it was understood that the Lord is good, and there is nothing in this life that embodies anything as loving, generous, giving, kind, and Holy as the one who gave everything up for me. And so, this has contributed a lot to who I am today.

When I came to college, I had a really hard time finding a church home because, in all honesty, I was used to just going to church with my parents and being content with that. I church hopped for a while and spent periods of time in between churches and youth groups that I really liked, but in the end, none of them really felt like home.

Truth be told, I've slipped more than a few times in my Christian journey. At one time (in high school and early college), I believed that because I didn't struggle with the certain sins that others did that I was above them. Accordingly, I used to measure the value of the person by the things they did and the way they lived their life.

And I think that this is why my relationship with God has never felt completely intact. There was this burden that I was carrying around that I was not letting go of because I refused to give up that sin. I was ashamed, to be honest, and let Him see me for who I was.

Over the past year, the Lord has softened my heart. He has provided me with people that have shown me what it is to be kind and love others with a spirit that never fails to give. He has shown me what it is to be a part of the bigger picture--that serving others is just the beginning to the way to serve Him for what he has done.

This past Sunday I attended church at Auburn Community Church--a church in Auburn that I've been attending the last semester or so, a place where I can feel the Lord moving in ways that I need in the moments when I am there.

On this particular Sunday, the pastor was giving perspective on the scripture of James and the idea of 'Faith By Deeds'. By the end of the sermon, I was hearing exactly what I had needed to be reminded of for months--that having faith is walking humbly, loving mercy, and acting justly.

On paper and in audio, these things sound great.

Easy, right?

Seven words to live a life by.

My problem?

I've never understood what it was to live these seven words out in the flesh and blood because I've always been blindsided by my own sin.

Walking humbly? The first step--submission for a life that needs God. "Walking dependently".

Loving mercy? "Literally the Hebrew word for kindness" & "loving to obey him" & "you are missing something if you do not have joy in serving God". We are supposed to love serving God.

These two words hit home for me because although my heart for others is newly restored, I find it easy to let nuances get to me in the midst of serving--sometimes wanting to choose my own "precious" time over giving a little bit of my life to those who need it.

Loving to be kind is what I'm striving to do with my life--and in many ways being reminded that loving mercy is honestly just showing Christ how thankful I am that he gave me a new perspective on how to view the time I spend with others. It gave me something to look back on when I get frustrated and am tempted to choose myself.

"It's a privilege, not an obligation".

Act justly? "Live a life on a daily basis doing what God has instructed you to do." What is it that He instructs? It's a lifestyle--surrendering everything you have to him and letting life take its course & "letting it overflow into a changed life" by loving people.

This one is the hardest one for me because I could never truly act justly until I learned to love others wholeheartedly. I have put off loving people for too long because I wasn't ready to let go of the sin that I was holding on to.

These seven words you might've heard before. And like me, you might've overlooked them and not taken them to heart because there is something keeping you from completely understanding them.

These seven words are a lifestyle that takes mistakes, hardships, and time to even attempt to grasp.

So just be patient and focus on letting go of whatever you are holding on to.