Why I Love Waking Up at 4AM

Why I Love Waking Up at 4AM

Wake up (at 4am) and smell the roses.

13
Why I Love Waking Up at 4AM
Sarah Sullivan

Waking up early is a thing that many of us dread. It requires messing up our circadian rhythm, overcoming the intense desire to stay in bed and going through our day in an exhausted, miserable headspace. Especially considering more than 1/3 of American adults aren't getting enough sleep at night to begin with, starting the day even an hour earlier than usual can seem like an impossible feat. Don't get me wrong: early wakeup times of 4 or 5am are definitely not for everyone. However, over the past 8 months, I have joined the group, including Tim Cook, small children and hardcore athletes, in waking up before 4am every morning. And I truly enjoy my new routine.

This is why I love waking up at 4am:

Peace and quiet

With two younger brothers and one very loud dog, silence is a rarity in my house. Being able to enjoy some quiet time and comfortably reflect on my day has been incredibly cathartic for me. On the occasions when I wake up in a sour mood, the tranquility of the early hour brings me to a more positive mindset for my day, and the noiseless environment allows me to think clearly. I use the time for scheduling out my day, picking up items around my room or meditating

Time to exercise

I don't wake up at 4am just to lounge around and wait for others to get out of bed. My early rise serves a primary purpose: exercise. Personally, I prefer exercise in the morning rather than at night, because I feel more energized after working out. Considering the energy exercise provides me with, I loved working out before I had to go to classes during the school year. Along with this, there tend to be fewer people at the gym at 5am than later in the day, which means I get more liberty in how I choose to exercise each day.

Increase in productivity

It's easy to think that waking up super early will slow you down due to a lack of sleep. And at first, I found that to be true. However, as I adjusted to the new routine over the course of approximately a month, I saw myself completing my to-do list much quicker than I had been before. Over the past 2 or so months, I've been finding myself done with all of my chores and errands for the day at around 11am. Having ample free time in the afternoon allows me to do a lot more with my day, such as reading, seeing friends or even just getting ahead for the next day.

Easier bedtimes

Before adopting my routine, I would regularly lay awake in bed for hours before falling asleep. It was a purgatory. I was energetic, but not energetic enough to get up and do something. I was tired, but not tired enough to sleep. Waking up at 4am to exercise invigorates me for the day, but by 9pm, I'm ready to sleep. It's so wonderful not having to look at the ceiling for an hour before going to sleep. Both my bedtime and wake-up time feel much more comfortable, refreshing and natural.

Self-esteem boost

Overcoming a challenge is a fantastic self-esteem booster, and obviously, waking up at 4am is challenging. I have never had a great amount of self-confidence, but knowing that I can do something not many people can (or want to) do makes me feel proud of myself for putting in the dedication necessary and being self-disciplined. This, combined with the exercise-induced endorphins, provides me with positive energy first thing in the morning, and sets me up for a good day, everyday.