WAIT

WAIT

"Why am I talking?"

172
WAIT
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/02/21/6365485233208860972022588882_IMG_7097.JPG

“If you can’t be good, be good at it”. My dad tells me those exact words every time I leave the house. It’s not the quote itself that is important; it’s the meaning behind it all. While it’s very common for a teenager not to listen, and to talk over people, I want to hear what people have to say. I want to be someone everybody feels comfortable coming to, either for advice or to spill their drama. I find you can learn a lot more about a person in 5 minutes by just listening to them rather than spending a whole day with them without hearing what they have to say. Everyone’s time, stories, and experiences deserve to be valued. Listening is so so important. Our society needs to do a better job of putting social media to rest and genuinely listening to the people that matter.

There have been many instances in my life which validate why being a good listener is a great quality to have. For example, I was an editor on the Windigo (yearbook) staff at my High School. There were 8 editors, with lots of our own creative ideas. At yearbook camp, we had to put all of our ideas together in order to come up with a fascinating theme. Without all of our listening skills, the discussion of picking our theme may not have gone as smoothly. In addition, we had an entire staff that wanted to contribute, too. Because of this it was extremely important that all the editors were open to new ideas from the staff. If we were not open to listening to them, the yearbook wouldn’t have won national awards last year. A good editor creates relationships with their staff rather than tell them what to do without hearing their opinions.

Similarly, I am a volunteer at the local children’s hospital in Minneapolis. This past summer, instead of working directly with the patients, I worked with their siblings. I got to be a part of the other side of the story. I got to give the siblings attention while their brother/sister may be fighting for his/her life. I learned how truly innocent they are. Their biggest struggles in life were which color to paint with next or with doll to name Molly. But, more importantly, I got to learn their stories. Every kid in that hospital is dealing with something different. Even with the sadness they might be enduring, the little kids always have a smiling face, and find reasons to laugh. I truly learned a lot from those kids.

Now as I am in college, it’s even more important that I listen instead of running my mouth. I am in a sorority with over 100 girls. All of us are so similar; yet, so different, requiring us to open our hearts, listen to each other’s stories and create a genuine sisterhood. Another aspect of college, apart of being in a sorority, is moving in with a stranger. By listening to each other’s days and spending valuable time together, I can genuinely say my roommate has become my best friend. I can trust her with anything. I tell her everything and she listens. She gives me the best advice, makes fun of me and laughs with me. We couldn’t create such an amazing friendship without the act of listening.

Recently I read an article (which prompted this blog) and I found it quite intriguing. During a lecture a Medical School Residency Director asked the class, “what is the most important organ of the body?” most assumed it was the heart or the brain. When the answer was the ear they were a tad surprised. The fact that even incoming doctors were surprised shows how the act and being a good listener does not get the credit it deserved. But, having this quality has allowed me to become a deeper person and has allowed me to be a better person over all.

Just thought this was something to think about next time you can't seem to put your phone away while with a group of friends! Talk to them, create better relationships with them- I promise it'll make you a happier person

see you next week :)

xoxo Sam