Riverside Mission Inn Festival of Lights

What to do before and during your visit to this magnificent Christmas Paradise?

197
Eventbrite

The holiday season is right around the corner... of the Main Street and Mission Inn Avenue! Are you as stoked as I am? If you live in Riverside, you have definitely heard of the extravagant display of hundreds of lights and figures at the Mission Inn Festival of Lights.

Thinking of getting yourself into the jolly spirit by dropping by this awe-inspiring Christmas Paradise? Here’s some tips before and during your visit that can make it a truly fantastic and splendid one.

Before the trip:

1. Check the weather

Make sure you wear an outfit that would keep you snug and toasty, especially since the event takes place outdoors. In my experience, I made the mistake of not checking the weather and visiting on an extraordinarily windy night. The (extreme) chilliness sort of restrained us from truly relishing the scenery and moment of magnificence, as the bulk of our energy and time were directed to escaping the cold or seeking warmth.

2. Check the performance dates

There is a myriad of performances at the Main and Ben Franklin Stages; these vary ever yday, so go onto Mission Inn’s website to decide on which ones to catch!

http://riversideca.gov/fol/activities.asp#entertai...

3. Decide on your mode of transport

(I) Train: Coming from outside of Riverside? All the more you have to avoid any hiccups in your (relatively) long trip!

(II) Shuttle Bus: Free shuttle bus services are offered from the Riverside-Downtown Metrolink Station to the annual festival.

(III) Bus: Most buses would pass by Downtown Riverside. The place is pretty small, and the lights are monumental and striking, so it's difficult to miss your stop.

(IV) Car: We all know how much a hassle parking can be sometimes, so if you are driving — do check for the available parking venues and fees!

4. Do a brief research

Know what activities are available, as well as their prices (whether they are free or not), so that you can make a beeline for them without the fear of losing your rhythm or directions in the crowd.

During the trip:

1. Food, food, and food

Who doesn’t love food right?

There are lots of vendors selling drinks and snacks/desserts scattered around the area. We bought Hot Chocolate and Tamales from the Vendors, and dined at Mezcal Cantina y Cocina.

The Hot Chocolate was overpriced (of course!), with $4 for a regular sized cup sprinkled with a few mini marshmallows. Moreover, the drink turned cold before long, but well... I was in the festive -- and freezing -- mode so... I guess I willingly paid for it anyway.

The Tamales ($3/each) was lip-smacking! I bought the "Sweet Corn Yellow with Green" flavored one, which was mildly sweet, with a subtle corn fragrance. The portion, texture, consistency and sweetness were all perfect, leaving me wishing for more. If you prefer sweeter ones, I recommend that you try the "Chocolate Raspberries with Caramelized Walnuts." (I really wanted "Strawberry Lemonade" but they ran out of strawberries.) If you prefer something crispy, go for the Churros instead -- crunchiness and satisfaction guaranteed!

Oh, dinner was at Mezcal Cantina y Cocina, where the food were scrumptious and affordable!

2. Try the Carriage Ride

It’s free! What better way to feel fulfill your childhood fairytale dream?

3. Carousel/ Ferris Wheel/ Trackless Train rides.

Unfortunately, the ice skating rink is down this year because of a construction project, which is expected to be complete before the 2017 Festival. Instead, you can "take a spin on an animal-themed carousel, a lighted Ferris wheel or a 24-seat train that will run up and down the Main Street mall."

If you are willing to pay for these rides (all of them are $5/ride, and $15/day), don't forget to take note of their venues and hours of operation so as to make your penny’s worth!

4. Artisans Collective

Are you an art fanatic? If so, here's good news for you: there is an innovative arts market where you can purchase original art from local artists, hear local musicians and participate in free public-arts workshops.

The art of the soul? You bet.

5. Performances

*Refer to Point 2. in "Before the trip" section*

6. Keep calm and...