Virginia Tech's Most Unique Course

Virginia Tech's Most Unique Course

To any incoming or current VT student...

15
Virginia Tech's Most Unique Course
Plaid Avenger

Remember going on multiple college tours, one of them being Virginia Tech? Remember your leader informing you of one class he or she insisted you take? That class was “World Regions” also known as GEO 1014. I can say from first-hand experience, they were absolutely right.

World Regions is not a typical college course. Normally you enter into a ginormous lecture hall with 300 strangers to learn about the introductory material. Not for this course, because it is all online, however, it is not the typical virtual class you are probably used to. When most college students take an online course, it is simpler and they could earn an “easy A.” World Regions is not that simple because it is not the typical one.

This course is all online – the quizzes, assignments, lectures, office hours, everything! Also, the best part about it is the grading scale. It is a point-based system and you can earn as many points as you want with ample amount of opportunity. Then once you have gotten the grade that you want, you’re done! That means if you work diligently early on, you can finish the course half way through.

The thought of having to watch long lectures online might sound boring but it won’t make you snooze though because the professor is awesome. He is very vibrant when he speaks in lectures to make things interesting. In fact, he wrote is very own textbook and made a website out of it. Truly an ultimate college course experience.

Don’t get me wrong, though, it is tons of work. Every week there are multiple videos, quizzes, readings, etc. If you do not stay organized or on top of your game, it might catch up to you in a GPA-downing type of way. As I mentioned above, however, you do not have to do every single assignment because of the points-based system; therefore, it is decently manageable.

Every Virginia Tech student should take this course. It will be one you always remember.