Views From The Presidents Office

Views From The Presidents Office

...Class of '18 to '79

18
Views From The Presidents Office

As president, you have the first 'yes' and final 'no' to a lot of situations that can affect the college. This amount of power can be a positive thing if every possible outcome is taken into consideration with the best method being chosen. From 2014 to now, you have been referring to building the world of our dreams. Now in the beginning, I took this as a that you would assist us Men of Morehouse in manifesting or establishing what each of us saw as our own. However, it feels as if “the world of our dreams” is just “the world according to Dr. Wilson.” It became unimpressive to me that the foundation which Morehouse is situated on, as well as the mystique became things you felt needed to be altered or “made better.” As it has been previously stated, “Morehouse must be, no will always be Morehouse, and the reason that students continue to become products of the college is because of the foundation and legacy that it has established since 1867.”

As a Morehouse Man, I assumed that you could understand why so many aspects of the college were important, but I have come to realize that as a younger brother to an older brother, I should take the time to remind you out of love. The view from the president's office is quite different than ours.

New Student Orientation

One of the most life changing aspects to any Morehouse students experience. Not only does this program help students realize what the Morehouse mystique is, but it gives them the passion to pursue it. Changing any part of this event becomes not only detrimental to the uniqueness of the college, but to the passion the students hold for it as well.

• The 5-Wells
    • Many students not only see this as one of the most important reasons why Morehouse Men are who they, but they attribute it (or did) to their everyday life. Though this came under the tenure of a specific president, it became a staple of the college that drew students near and far to see what this Morehouse thing was all about. The five wells were an addition to the college, just as your five academic values should be. However, one should not take precedent over the other, but they should complement one another.
  • The Infrastructure
    • Now, it is one thing to want to reshape the aesthetic of the institution, however, it is another thing to want to make the entire institution into a PWI. WE ARE NOT HARVARD, AND WE DO NOT ASPIRE TO BE HARVARD. The pipeline between Morehouse and Harvard is all the Harvard that we need. We appreciate the impact Harvard has had on many Morehouse men’s lives but the continual comparison of the two institutions is detrimental to our growth as the ONLY: All male, All African-American, Liberal Arts Institution in America. Appreciate us for where we are so that we can grow to our fullest potential.
  • Lastly, (for the sake of time) Campus Presence
    • It is understood that you are doing all that you can to increase our endowment, restructure our spaces, and further establish our brand, but our interactions with both you and your cabinet are just as important. As a student, to not be able to have face time or interact with my institution's president is disheartening. One of reasons I was most grateful for Morehouse was because the atmosphere was so welcoming and that allowed me to be comfortable in what I had to offer the institution. Within the past two years, I have felt that Morehouse has lost that touch. Students are not as respectful or brotherly, the administration is so distant and unfriendly, and faculty and staff are fighting to make the connection with little to no help. As president, the level of love and togetherness begins with you and then trickles throughout the rest of the institution.
  • I want it be clear, this is not an attack of character, but an extension of care from brother to brother. As you continue your tenure as president, I hope you take this into consideration. We need more than just a figurehead, we need a president.