Vegetarian Pastelon

Vegetarian Pastelon

Innovatively Healthy & Bursting With Flavor

145
Vegetarian Pastelon

Ladies and gents, the holiday season is upon us and just as we’re busting out our UGG boot knockoffs and flannels, we’re also elated to prepare many of our beloved fall staples in the kitchen. From pumpkin bread to apple cider, it’s all warm, nostalgic and delectable comfort food.

One of the perks of having grown up in a Latin household was trying and learning to cook recipes that have been passed down from generations in authentic Latin countries to generations here in the US. The food that warms my core always and gives my soul the utmost satisfaction is Pastelon. It is essentially the Hispanic version of Shepherd’s Pie, but in my opinion, much heartier, diverse in ingredients, and totally amped in flavor. It begins with a sauteed mix of ground beef and veggies swathed in a velvety mash of naturally sweet, pungent and warm plantains.

Since I am a recovering vegetarian, weaning herself off of cheese and ice cream to ultimately become the enlightened, spiritually in tune and vegan activist writer I was always destined to be; I’ll be finding a middle ground today and providing a vegetarian recipe for Pastelon.

Ingredients

2 Quarts of Baby Bella Mushrooms

6 Ripe Plantains

1 Green Bell Pepper

2 Cans of Black Beans

1 Red Onion

½ cup of Colby Jack Cheese

½ Cup of Heavy Cream

2 Tbsp. of Butter

Drizzle of EVOO

Tsp. Sugar

2 Tbsp. Lime Juice

Pinch of Salt

Pinch of Pepper

2 Sprigs of Cilantro

½ Tsp of Cayenne Pepper

Tsp. Coriander

2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste

3 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce

You’ll start by carefully peeling your plantains, and then throwing them into a pot of water tall enough to cover them on high heat. Next you’ll be warming a pan with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on medium heat, and finely chopping your mushrooms, green pepper and red onions. Toss them in, give it a mix, add your lime juice, tomato paste, and start adding your spices. First the coriander, then your salt and pepper; your cilantro and cayenne next, and when you can hear your sizzle underway, add your Worcestershire sauce. Afterwards, you’ll add your cans of beans, stir them in, cover with lid and let it sit on low heat. Turn your attention over to your plantains, as they’ll be done when they are fork tender. When they are done, you’ll grab a dish and start to smash them with the proper utensil while they’re still piping hot. You’ll add the ½ cup of heavy cream and 2 tablespoons of butter to make them smooth. Your veggie mix is ready when all the liquid from the beans has evaporated and the mixture resembles a distant, healthier and cruelty free cousin of the traditional ground beef alternative. Grab your final draft casserole dish and cover the inside with your plantain mash. Next you’ll fill it with all of your now slightly cooled veg, and then cover it with the remaining portion of the mash. Once it’s concealed with nary a shroom in sight, you’ll sprinkle on your shredded cheese to create a tangy and crispy crust.

Bake in oven at 350° F for 40 minutes. :)

Take a pause from troubled politics and corrupt, systematic, societal issues to indulge in a piece of absolute, heaven-sent delight.