Why Valentine's Day is Overrated

Why Valentine's Day is Overrated

Love for one another shouldn't be contained to a single day.

127
Why Valentine's Day is Overrated

It is the infamous time of year where everyone stresses out about what to get their special someone. Whether it be going to a fancy restaurant, finding the card to say just the right things, or even just searching for the perfect gift, we worry about it all for those we truly care about. Don't get me wrong, we should show people they matter to us, no matter the type of relationship we have with them. However, is it really worth all the overly advertised and overpriced merchandise hype? I believe not.

Everyone has a different love language. (For those who don't know, I'm referring to the 5 Love Languages material by Gary Chapman.) The five love languages are as follows: Quality Time, Physical Touch, Words of Affirmation, Receiving Gifts, and Acts of Service. I say all this to say, are we really investing in our partners love language or we just going with the flow of what comes with the Hallmark holiday? Does your partner really enjoy receiving gifts or would they rather just go do something such as dinner and a movie? Does your partner prefer receiving words of encouragement or having something done for them? It is all about investment in the other.

Sometimes, we as people, get so caught up in what is being advertised towards a specific time of year, we forget how to truly care for our partner; so back to Valentine's Day. The holiday is a good concept about showing your significant other they matter to you, but it doesn't have to be all shoved into one day, like how a majority of people celebrate it as. Are you tapping into your partners love language to show them you love them? Do you really show your partner you care any other time of year, or do you only participate because the calendar tells you to do so? Is it really worth the overpriced chocolate, stuffed animals, and flowers? I believe not.

Don't get me wrong, I myself have participated in the holiday in years passed, but not out of obligation to my boyfriend. In the relationships I have been in, I did something because I cared. I did something to show how much they mean to me, but I also did that all year round. It wasn't all shoved into one day because "we had to celebrate". We didn't celebrate because a commercial or advertisement told us to. We did simply because of the concept of love.

You're not wrong if you so choose to get into the hype of the day; You do you. You're not wrong if you do nothing at all for your partner for that day; You do you. All I am saying is to simply think why we do what we do, instead of just going along with the idea. No matter whether you are single and looking or happily in a relationship, don't just go through the emotions because you feel obligated to do so. Care for your partner because you want to, whether that be on Valentine's Day or any other random day in the year. Love should be the ultimate motivator, not a special date on the calendar.