The truth behind the USA-Canada rivalry

The Canada-USA Rivalry In Soccer Is Non-Existent, So Stop Trying To Make It Happen

Canadians, we could care less what you think of us.

20

International competitions can create new rivalries, but it can also bring out the biggest and oldest rivalries in the book back to light.

However, the Canada-USA rivalry is always relevant in every sport, even women's soccer.

With the Women's World Cup taking place in France this summer, there is no surprise with the buzz surrounding the U.S. women's national team as the reigning champions looking for the gold again.

The USWNT is the top of the top of women's soccer and easily one of the most loved national teams in all of sports, especially women's sports.

As a fan of any other team, you are digging and looking for any small reason to trash talk such a talented and loved team. Even if it's over the most outrageous thing.

Now, our neighbors south of the border in Mexico aren't here to say anything because they didn't make the tournament anyway. But the team at the north of the border are making sure their unwanted opinions are heard all throughout social media.

Since the USWNT's first match against Thailand, when the U.S scored 13 unanswered goals, the Canadians have been yapping about the lack of sportsmanship the players had for SCORING too much.

First of all, isn't that what you are supposed to do? Are you not supposed to score as much as you can to make sure that you win the game and build the gap in the goal differentials?

Not only that, but they were quick to judge the U.S. for not letting go of the gas pedal and giving Thailand a break. In many people's opinions, it would be more disrespectful towards Thailand if the U.S decided to go easy on them after the sixth goal. It also meant more to Thailand that the U.S continued to give it their all and treat them as a hardworking opponent all 90 minutes.

The second thing there was complaints about is the fact that players still continued celebrating the later goals when the game was long over. This is the World Cup. The most important competition for these players, many of who were scoring their first ever goals in the debuts in the competition. No one has a right to tell these players to not celebrate.

Obviously, it wasn't every single Canadian that was pointing these things out and it also wasn't only the Canadians making these arguments, but they were the ones that wanted to continue this discussion as "rivals" when there has never been a rivalry in the first place.

Just because there is a rivalry there between in countries in every other sport, it does not mean that both teams compare to each other in women's soccer.

So, if there are still Canadians criticizing the U.S. during the rest of the tournament, just remember how far that trash talking got you compared to the unfazed Americans.