Us Vs. The World

Us Vs. The World

Why the world shouldn't affect who we are.

34
Us Vs. The World
Huffington Post

Since the beginning of my relationship, I have felt the weight of opinions on my shoulders. Not from the people that I care about, but the opinions have come from outside sources and people who have no insight into my relationship. Due to this, I have been noticing other areas in my life that people have butted their noses in unwantedly.

This is a huge problem, but the bigger problem is that people choose to let the comments affect them. Letting it get under my skin is a huge issue I had until recently. For example, my boyfriend and I like to hold hands or kiss in public. This usually attracts comments such as "PDA," or "that's gross." This stuff doesn't bother me when it is coming from friends, or when it is used in a joking manner, but I can see the look on stranger's faces. They disapprove of my affection for my boyfriend.

I could stop showing any kind of affection towards my boyfriend in public. If I do so, all the weird looks and comments would stop right away. I could treat him like a friend and stand two feet away from him at all time so strangers won't feel uncomfortable. On the other hand, what am I losing? I am losing the opportunity to tell him that I love him or show him that I care.

This happens outside of my relationship as well. When I say something outside of social normality, such as "the bee's knees" (or much of my other "old" slang), I get odd looks. To please them, I could speak without those phrases and continually watch what I say, or I could just be myself.

I love who I am and I love my relationship. I am happy being the person that says corny catch phrases and kissing my boyfriend's cheeks because that is what makes me happy. If we all conformed to the world's wants, we would always be changing. We will never make everyone happy and that is just how it is. Take the advice of the people that matter most and ignore the outsiders. Be who you want to be and do the things you want to do. The world can either accept it or move on.