The Upcoming Hotel At TAMU Shows Us Where The University's Priorities Are

And they're not with its students.

296

Known for its ornamented history and even more ornamented student body, Texas A&M University fulfills its role as the first public institution of higher learning in the state of Texas. Such prestige is reflected in the research-led initiatives and philanthropic-based events that are hosted on behalf of the students themselves.

However, many students feel as though their education is not being prioritized –– especially in light of the on-campus hotel and conference center that is currently undergoing construction. It may be that Texas A&M University is committed to “sending Aggie leaders out into the world prepared to take on the challenges of tomorrow.” Although, it has many of us asking “At what cost?”

According to an article published in The Eagle, the 250,000-square-foot hotel and conference center is expected to open its doors during the 2018 football season. Conveniently, 250 hotel rooms –– 12 of them being suites –– will serve as a “premier location for sports fans to stay on game weekends.” Guests will also be acquainted with a “full-service restaurant and bar, 1,000 square feet of retail space, an outdoor pool, a fitness center, an outdoor event area, a 650-seat ballroom and more than 28,000 square feet of conference and meeting space.”

During the June 9 topping-out ceremony, which was conducted on the fifth floor of the forthcoming hotel, Chancellor John Sharp glorified the construction and commencement of this “crown jewel,” which, in his perspective, is “second only to its neighbor just across the street –– Kyle Field.” He further stated that "The only place on this campus that will be more remembered, more frequented and more well-known is the building across the street... Where else can you walk across the street to go to a football game or across the railroad tracks to go to a baseball game?"

Consequently, many individuals will walk across the railroad tracks. However, they will not be attending a baseball game. Rather, they will be attempting to seek student-oriented services, most of which used to be readily accessible on the main campus via its centralized location, Cain Hall.

Ironically though, Cain Hall and the surrounding area (the current construction pad for Cain parking garage and the hotel and conference center) underwent demolition as part of a “large-scale Texas A&M University redevelopment project” that was expected to provide “modern facilities and more space than is currently available.” The Division of Student Affairs commented that it was “extremely excited about the opportunities and benefits afforded by the new construction,” which would allow for faculty and staff to “better serve the needs of a growing student body.”

Unfortunately for the “growing student body," student services such as Offices of the Dean of Student Life, Disability Services, Student Counseling Service and the Department of Residence Life relocated to the outskirts of West Campus, currently housed as the “Student Services at White Creek.” This specific location, although accessible by Texas A&M University transit service, is quite a distance from the main campus, where many students –– especially those with disabilities- reside and attend class.

Here is some more information regarding the relocation of Texas A&M University Student Services.

As one would expect, frustration seemingly cultivated in the face of Aggie patriotism. Many students took to social media, immersing their posts in the profoundly crafted ideologies they bring forth.

One student, in particular, Shae Blazier ’18, tweeted the following: “A pretty big reason I stopped going to counseling for my anxiety had to do with how big of a pain it was to get to White Creek. I had a minor mental health issue and I had to stop going. I couldn’t imagine what someone with worse problems or disabilities has to go through.”

Similarly, Julia Koerner ’19 expressed her disapproval through means of a Facebook status: “For the actual students at A&M, a hotel is not nor should ever be the crown jewel of our campus. How dare one of our chancellors say the new hotel is the second most important building, behind Kyle Field. Does he need to be reminded our student center is a war memorial?”

It appears that he may need to be reminded, for the Memorial Student Center (MSC) at Texas A&M University symbolizes the once-apparent partnership between the student body and alumni. Back in “Old Army,” the students voiced their desire for a student union while alumni members voiced their desire for a memorial. What resulted was the creation of a decadent living memorial that enables Aggie voices of past, present, and future to be heard.

With that being said, modern-day projects, such as the newly constructed hotel and conference center, seemingly violate the fundamentals that Texas A&M University was (literally) built upon. Furthermore, our institution is becoming notorious for the fact that its endowment ranks in the top ten in the nation, made evident by Sharp’s exclamation that “You can become immortal for $20-25 million.”

What is being overlooked? A priceless education. One that should embody the true Spirit of Aggieland –– those of its students.

It’s 2017 Aggies, and it appears as though you’ll need a whole lot more than a penny for your thoughts to be heard.