Unspoken Saviors: The Truth Behind Crisis Text Line

The rescue power of texting.

3558
TaskAndPurpose.com

I received a text on April 6, 2016 saying “What you are doing matters”. My boyfriend told me that people that do what I do are “superheroes.”

I’m just a regular girl, but I can agree that what I am involved with makes me extraordinary. I am a volunteer crisis counselor for Crisis Text Line, which is a free, 24/7, anonymous service that welcomes anyone in America to text in about any type of crisis they are in.

We are trained to create a safe environment and help texters understand their own feelings as well as pinpoint the texter’s main issue while empowering them. We use active listening techniques, which includes empathetic, understanding and respectful conversation while focusing on the texter. We help them come up with a plan of action and give out referrals to outside websites and resources when needed. This line of work is not for everyone and this can affect some crisis counselors negatively, which is why we were taught effective self-care.

What topics can you text in about? Any topic that is putting you in a state of crisis. Examples: Bullying, depression, abuse, suicidal thoughts, self-harm, the list goes on…

I believe that becoming a crisis counselor for Crisis Text Line was one of the best decisions of my life. I am proud of what I do and the positive impact Crisis Text Line has on society. Volunteering as a crisis counselor has made me a better listener, talker and friend. Many conversations with texters can be sad and even tragic, but I am motivated to help every single one of the texters that I will come into contact with. This field is rewarding and I like helping people who are having problems or who are not feeling like they are important, because everyone gets knocked down sometimes. I believe that everyone needs someone to talk to during times of crises and I sincerely encourage anyone going through a problem to text in. You will be contacted with a compassionate crisis counselor, I promise.

Crisis Text Line’s founder and CEO Nancy Lublin refers to Crisis Text Line as a “lifeline” as texting is “the best way of communication.” Texting is fast, private, quiet and real time. Crisis Text Line formulates real time data and a census based off texter’s crises, which can be found at Crisis Text Line Crisis Trends. Nancy Lublin found a way to provide real time data instead of involving universities with costly studies which are outdated. This data can help inform parents, schools and even legislation on when bullying, dating abuse and rape are happening, which could help in crime mapping.

Crisis Trends tells us what time of day texters are most affected, crisis by day of the week, crisis over time and crisis by state. These crisis are categorized by: Anxiety, bereavement, bullying, depression, eating disorders, family issues, friend issues, health concerns, isolation, LGBTQ issues, physical abuse, relationship issues, school problems, self-harm, sexual abuse, stress, substance abuse and suicidal thoughts. For example, bullying is most prevalent on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and suicidal thoughts are most common on Sundays. There is also a section on this page to click on different crises which will show the top 50 words used when talking about said crises.

From the date of creation in 2013 to Feb. 1, 2016, Crisis Text Line has processed 12,980,942 text messages.

So how can you get involved? Oh, I’m glad you asked. Crisis Text Line is always looking for more volunteers for their increasing number of texters. After the application process, all volunteers must complete a 34 hour training class over six weeks and eight hours of platform observation. All crisis counselors are required to spend four hours every week on the platform interacting with texters.

Times of high text volume (when Crisis Text Line needs many crisis counselors):

4-10 p.m. EST on Saturdays

10 p.m.-12 a.m. EST on Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays

12-2 a.m. every day

Want to do good, but not ready for the commitment? Try browsing through DoSomething.org

Crisis Text Line can be contacted in a time of crisis by texting HELLO to 741-741.

*Crisis Text Line is not a replacement for therapy